[iDC] Is there a future for the pubklic libraries?

Anya Kamenetz anyaanya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:24:19 UTC 2011

The way I see libraries functioning most vibrantly in communities today, at
a moment of transition, is as free Internet cafes for lower-income people
and afterschool gathering places for children.
In my new ebook The Edupunks' Guide (expected release in August) I talk
about a really interesting program called LearnerWeb, which is a guided
online personal learning plan experience for people whose goals include
learning English, learning to read, or getting a GED.
http://www.learnerweb.org/infosite/
People generally interact with the LearnerWeb website in a semi-supervised
situation like an adult literacy center, social services center, and yes, a
library.
Anya

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Rolf Hapel <hapel at aarhus.dk> wrote:

> Hi Janet,
>
> Thank you for your comments. I agree that the change of format ultimately
> is changing the business models of publishing, thus has an enormous effect
> of the business model of the libraries. Copyright issues are at the core of
> this development. I believe that your reflection on the library as a future
> repository or space which can host culturally important data over longer
> time spans ending with a (big) question mark is very relevant! The need for
> preserving valuable cultural and polical data is obvious, but it is in my
> mind not a task for the public library to do that, it must be national
> repositories that harvest that kind of digital information. The possibility
> of having networks of libraries host contemporary digital media content (or
> maybe access to digital media content through metadata repositories) is
> certainly a possibility - that's what we are doing in Denmark.
>
> Rolf

*Fast Company column* Life In
Beta<http://www.fastcompany.com/user/anya-kamenetz>
*Tribune Media column* The Savings
Game<http://www.tmsfeatures.com/columns/business/personal-finance/savings-game/>
*Book* DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs and the Coming Transformation of  Higher
Education
<http://www.amazon.com/DIY-Edupunks-Edupreneurs-Transformation-Education/dp/1603582347>
*Blog* DIYUbook.com <http://diyubook.com/>
*Twitter *@Anya1anya <http://twitter.com/#%21/anya1anya>