[iDC] Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Mon Aug 8 18:34:03 UTC 2011

I agree that Anya's comments reflect the ideals that should underpin education. I also accept that the academy has much to explain, as it has lost its way. However, I will sustain my question concerning how the model Anya proposes goes beyond the instrumental (satisfying the immediate learning needs of the student) and offers a means to build the sophisticated and large scale knowledge making platform we require on a planet as large and diverse as ours. I do not see this in her argument. If Anya's model was generally implemented I think we would be looking at a regressive situation. In this respect I think her proposal is well motivated but naive.

best

Simon