[iDC] Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Tue Aug 9 01:31:02 UTC 2011

On 8-Aug-11, at 2:34 PM, Simon Biggs wrote:

> I will sustain my question concerning how the model Anya proposes
> goes beyond the instrumental (satisfying the immediate learning
> needs of the student) and offers a means to build the sophisticated
> and large scale knowledge making platform we require on a planet as
> large and diverse as ours. I do not see this in her argument. If
> Anya's model was generally implemented I think we would be looking
> at a regressive situation. In this respect I think her proposal is
> well motivated but naive.

Hi Simon,

it is in my opinion gravely naive on your part to assume that on a
planet as large and diverse as ours we 'require' the sophisticated
and large scale knowledge making platform that is 'academic
research'. On the contrary, in light of Fukushima and the global
climate cataclysm and the overall assault on our bio-diversity being
driven by PhDs in and out of university, it should be clear that
radical changes are required to save us from an unsustainable
economic infrastructure fuelled by the very research culture you
champion. Not that very useful work isn't being done. But useful -
ultimately - to whom?

You mentioned Peter Higgs and his work on the 'boson'. Now, I do not
know the man personally, much less anything substantial about
theoretical physics. He is obviously quite brilliant and he may also
be an absolutely great guy. But I do note on his wikipedia page the
following:

"Higgs was a CND activist while in London and later in Edinburgh, but
resigned his membership when the group extended its remit from
campaigning against nuclear weapons to campaigning against nuclear
power too. He was a Greenpeace member until the group opposed
genetically modified organisms."

It is a free world (for some of us) and Peter Higgs can think what he
likes. But by the same token it is my opinion that blind and
unwarranted faith in the 'need' for genetically modified foods and
nuclear power is the blind spot in 'your' model, Simon. And given the
choice between the two pedagogies under consideration - and taking
into account the almost certain knowledge that sooner rather than
later the well-educated TEPCOs and Monsantos of the world are going
to do us all in - I prefer to take my chances with the alternative in
the rather desperate hope that there may be time to change a few
things that matter before it is too late.

js