[iDC] Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Tue Aug 9 08:45:03 UTC 2011

There has been a tendency to generalise in this discussion. I am a high school dropout. Left school disillusioned at 16, without sitting exams, to go surfing and live on communes (in early 70's Australia you could do that). I've never had what I consider a job (nine to five, a boss, etc). Nevertheless, I'm a professor, without qualifications. That didn't require faking anything. It was DIY and informal, but only to a certain extent. I was able to get places because other's opened doors (or allowed me to push them open). That depended on mutual trust, not deception.

My experience is that the academy is enabling. It is one of the most generous and liberal sections of society, that values sharing as a central tenet in creating knowledge. For students it should be, and usually is, a safe space where they can experiment and take risks that would be difficult elsewhere in society. It should, and can, be this for staff as well. Taking risks is how you learn - not by being passively fed information. That's why those who consider education a product and students to be consumers are wrong. Education is a culture, a social space dedicated to experimental interactions, where social norms are not only questioned but can be suspended. Due to their often fluid power-dynamics universities can be like communes, if you want to use them like that.

It is true that some in education see their job as being gate keepers. But there are many who see their role as keeping the gates open - who regard education as a public good with the potential to transform people's lives and our social spaces. Given the evidence for this it would seem that those who do see it as their job to restrict access are doing so through prejudice. Prejudice is a function of ignorance and feeds off the tendency to simplify and generalise. To have a discussion about who is or isn't "punk" is similar. Such terms might be useful for indicating certain historical social tropes but to appropriate them as shorthand for contemporary social mindsets seems simplistic and imprecise.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs | simon at littlepig.org.uk | www.littlepig.org.uk

s.biggs at ed.ac.uk | Edinburgh College of Art | University of Edinburgh