[iDC] Mining the Military-Academic-Industrial Complex in a Poetic-Serious Fashion

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Thu Apr 23 10:53:03 UTC 2009

I don¹t want to be negative about my institution¹s (Edinburgh College of
Art) key regional competitor (Glasgow School of Art) but even art schools
get into bed with the military and big business (very profitably).

http://www.gsa.ac.uk/researchandpostgraduate/content/default.asp?page=s18

As you will note, GSA undertakes research for the UK Army (via French
military manufacturer Thales) looking at how to better equip infantry with
hi-tech kit, QinitiQ (a major UK military R&D organisation) and the UK navy,
on submarine defence systems (Clydeside is where the UK nuclear submarine
fleet is based). GSA seems to have no ethical qualms about this, at least at
senior management level and within the research unit involved.

I don¹t know what other¹s think of this sort of thing. My own institution is
working on its research strategy going forward to 2014 and are planning to
build it on an ethical framework focused on sustainability and avoiding
certain research linkages. We will not get any browny points from the
research councils for doing that. We do hope our students will appreciate it
(their concerns in this area are in part driving our strategy).
Nevertheless, it is always hard to keep your hands really clean, if not
impossible.

Regards

Simon

Simon Biggs