[iDC] Mining the Military-Academic-Industrial Complex in a Poetic-Serious Fashion

Anna Munster A.Munster at unsw.edu.au
Thu Apr 23 05:00:25 UTC 2009

HI Brian, Nick etc

I take your point Brian about the 'open' flaunting of science-military
research etc. I too have been similarly amazed to see detailed
descriptions of various data mining projects linked to homeland
security concerns but which are funded via agencies such as NSF as
'good' almost 'neutral' projects 'advancing' knowledge. (see, for
example, http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=103047).

I seriously wonder what the hell academics think they are doing - but
then again, what's new huh? Hasn't this been an ongoing problem of/for
the academy always...ie the always imbricated and evolving links
between knowledge and power....

Nick - found your responses v. interesting and considered and thanks
for pointing me toward further reading spots around your project -
I'll have a much closer look.
On 21/04/2009, at 2:33 PM, nick knouf wrote:

>  To take another example: I have colleagues of mine who work
> with proprietary datasets of web access logs, social network info, and
> the such, who present results that can never be questioned or
> "verified"
> (in the Popperian sense, which is the only sense for many of them)
> because no one else can access their data and produce an alternative
> interpretation.  Most people see this as not a problem in the least;
> for
> them it's their way of protecting "privacy" (instead of questioning
> whether these logs should exist in the first place).

Yes, indeed - the relations between privacy and propriety...I actually
think this might be an area we all need to spend a lot more time
considering in terms of the increasing constraints upon research
within the academy. One area I see this affecting the humanities is
where humanities academics are increasingly being pushed into taking
on external private consultancies to make up shortfalls in research
funding. (this is happening quite a bit now in Australia - not sure
about elsewhere).

While I am not trying to say outright 'no' to these kind of
arrangements, nondisclosure agreements are obviously an issue and one
which many of us just don't know enough about. At a recent workshop at
my uni on codes of conduct for research (which one would hope
addressed issues concerning the building of a supportive ethical
environment), I was totally horrified to hear what my university's
research office had to say about a particular scenario. We were told
that if we had signed a contract with an external party but had come
across research that was of potential harm to the public - (eg
discovered toxic waste in a public playground) - the university would
not support us making that information public ie for the public good,
if this meant contravening a nondisclosure agreement.

The reason? No prizes for guess the university is scared of litigation
of course. AS it turns out there were law faculty in the room who got
on their judicial high horses and said that a researcher had legal
rights to disclose information in the public good even if they had
signed a nondisclosure agreement. Thank god for the long arm of law!!

My point here is: what kind of interests are determining how research
is conducted as well as what research is done? And how do we actually
gain access to that information if it is locked behind nondisclosure
or proprietorial doors?

Nick - I like the idea of you working to design the display of data
into a page in order to bring to light thee kind of issues - there
should be more of it but there should also be more discussion about
the constraining of knowledge generally by the kinds of agreements and
protocols researchers are acquiescing to...

cheers
Anna

A/Prof. Anna Munster
Assistant Dean, Grant Support
Acting Director Centre for Contemporary Art and Politics
School of Art History and Art Education
College of Fine Arts
UNSW
P.O. Box 259