[iDC] Architecture and Situated Technologies

shu lea cheang shulea at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 09:08:17 EDT 2006

dear adriene

good to see you here.

Since your specflic is set in year 2030, i do feel the need to
respond to this particular year and your vision or our vision of
the future related to network vision in year 2030.

I am here speaking on behalf of the london based collective TAKE2030
that i co-founded (with Ilze black and Alexei blinov)
http://www.take2030.net
  "TAKE2030 operates in parallel net media scheme and shifts social
network mission into hypermedia playing fields. "

since there has also been so much pping on the rich and rich not, i would also
like to refer the year 2030 to Katzakhstan2030
http://www.akorda.kz/page.php?page_id=135&lang=2

Nursultan Nazarbayev, in his president's speech (year 2000, total
word count: 18543) to Kazakhstan people, detailed
dreams/desire/expectation for his country in developing, taking up
Taiwan, Korea as example of economic success.
"I, for my part, am sure that by the year of 2030 Kazakhstan would
have become a Central-Asian Snow Leopard and would serve a fine
example to be followed by other developing countries. Tigers are not
found in Kazakhstan while the Show Leopard inhabiting our mountains
is but a stranger in the wold community. Though a relation to the
Tiger in the animal kingdom, Snow Leopard bears some substantial
distinctions therefrom. It will be virtually a Kazakhstani Snow
Leopard with inherent elitarianism, sense of independence,
intelligence, courage and nobleness, bravery and cunning. It will
never be the first to attack anyone, ever prone to avoiding direct
clashes."

Situated in wireless London initiative (whether by greater desire of
the metropolitan administration or by Arts Council England), TAKE2030
has
adopted a post-netcrash scenario with wireless bandwidth upheld by
freenetworkers. Parallel net scheme would involve building from the
ashes of the crashes, in sync with network DIY and opensource
practice. Our current prject
PORTA2030 further sets out toward a portable, responsible and
sustainable porta-net. In april 2006, we took up Broadway Market
(a 100m strip of commercial and residential zone in East London) that
is undergoing regeneration makeover as a site to dispatch our
porta-porters.
http://www.porta2030.net

Here, i am more interested to consider the 'backbone' construct for exercising
public engagement mobile project, the upper dimension of the
urbanscape, the spectrum of our air waves put into social network
application, and as performative spectacle!  yes, here we have it,
the gadgets and the specs!

On the idea of future library, i also can not help to mention Fahrenheit 451,
the dystopian future of banned book and its burning squads. I am wondering
if a spectacle of 'multi' mobile media library could be the more brighter
future for 2030??

refering to your vision on specflic.net
"A proliferation of digital recording devices are leading us to a
place where privacy will evaporate without any parallel efforts from
the State - a community armed with compact, wirelessly-connected
recording devices will record and police itself far better than any
government could have hoped to. "
(http://www.specflic.net/index_modules.html)

do we help to build this sousveillance vision at the end?
as in the texas border patrol, send in your mobile images if
you see an alien crossing??

for now
hope to connect...

best