[iDC] Architecture and Situated Technologies

Adriene Jenik ajenik at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 4 14:22:07 EDT 2006

ShuLea!

fantastic - I did not know of this work & find it uncanny that we've
circled around the same year. Thank you for the links & continued inspiration.

>On the idea of future library, i also can not help to mention Fahrenheit 451,
>the dystopian future of banned book and its burning squads. I am wondering
>if a spectacle of 'multi' mobile media library could be the more brighter
>future for 2030??

as many writers and scholars of the DRM and current "net neutrality"
battles have pointed out, access and control to these resources in a
digital environment is a current (and ongoing) struggle. In many
ways, it seems that developing countries take library/information
access for granted, anecdotally - my students now rarely use the
library for their research, and their reading habits have changed
dramatically. It is these tendencies combined with the library
proposals for more precisely controlled (tiers) of access to digital
content and the very indifferent attitude many folks (in the US at
least) take toward privacy protection, that make for a less
optimistic speculative scenario.

I always feel immensely hopeful about human resourcefulness &
resistance. In the end I know there will be micro solutions to the
macro controls enabled in the name of efficiency and convenience.  As
usual, the project SPECFLIC, finds me working through a few of the
many questions & contradictions that continue to plague me about the
media forms in which I create.

I've appreciated greatly seeing that others on this list share many
of these same issues.

Adriene