[iDC] introductions

Ben Thorp Brown ben.t.brown at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:31:41 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I'm an artist, documentary filmmaker, and researcher based in NYC. I'm
looking forward to this event.

I will be presenting a project/lecture called* Freedom from Everything*,
which investigates the economy, labor, and experiences of the distributed
workforce. For this project, I'm looking at practices of artistic work in
response to the conditions of labor, and so I imagine that the first part
of my presentation will present a history of "labor poetry" as literary
modernist practices begin to overlap with the political interests of the
working class in the 1920s and 1930s. In the second part, I will present
some interventions into the world of distributed labor (Mechanical Turk,
Crowdflower, Task Rabbit), and through structured prompts, invite digital
workers to generate artistic work that reflect on their experience as
digital workers.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and having some engaging
discussions.

Ben

--
http://www.benthorpbrown.com