[iDC] Can DIY education be crowdsourced?

Chris Lawrence chrislarry33 at me.com
Wed Sep 7 18:26:45 UTC 2011

Hello all,

This has been a very engaging conversation thus far. Anya, I am a new(ish) father of an almost three year old and your example I think hits on a larger story about areas of intellectual participation that we seek out that are non-diadactic. I too used internet-forums/boards during the first year of my daughters life (mostly around sleep questions, get ready) and they were demonstrably more helpful, intuitive and content rich over the endless books published on the subject (which I also heavily sampled). Ultimately when I reflected about it, I was recoiling from the "right way" and dehumanizing "step 1.." approach that all the books seemed to take. I think partly because they were "books" and how-to books have a style and inherent didacticism in their form that seemed completely not helpful when nurturing life (and sanity).

So yes everything isn't child rearing but I do think as our lives become more socially enriched and we look toward web-enabled peer groups to figure stuff out (and help others to) it becomes more commonplace for learners/teachers to cultivate new instructional models that are motivated to move the exchange beyond a didactic approach.

So as to a score I think of an Empathy Rating. How well did they listen, were able to see my perspective, react to it and push my own understanding. If I was browsing an expert list and something like an Empathy Score/Badge was listed I would gravitate towards them for an interaction because I know I would be heard and that we would have a learning conversation.

If I am teaching/facilitating and I valued and grew my empathy score/badge then I think I would potentially grow my learner/user base which, fore me at least, would be an intrinsic motivator.

Chris Lawrence
Director, Hive Learning Network NYC
718-757-0843
chrislarry33 at me.com