[iDC] Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics

Lev Manovich manovich.lev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:25:39 UTC 2011

my comments inline:

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Andreas Schiffler
<aschiffler at ferzkopp.net> wrote:
> Comments inline...
>
> On 10/11/11 11:54 PM, Lev Manovich wrote:
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> my answers are below:
>>
>>> Personally, I would also find it more
>>> challenging and interesting to write the data scrapers that "harvest"
>>> image
>>> sets from the web or come up with new analysis algorithms that calculate
>>> new
>>> dimensions for existing images.
>>
>> And what are you going to do with the lots of scraped images and lots
>> of extracted features? Thats why we create ImagePlot - it takes images
>> and their features and visualize relations between images.
>>
> I don't dispute the merits and creative opportunities ImagePlot creates. A
> visualization (or more generally, transformation) tool is obviously needed
> to make such data collections accessible to the viewer/user. When I find
> some time, I may try to code up a visualization tool myself and contribute
> it to your group.
>>
>>> Let's say I write an algorithms that
>>> determines the entropy (randomness) in an image ... How would you enable
>>> someone downloading ImagePlot to apply this to their images?
>>
>> ImagePlot takes as its input a directory of images and information
>> about their organized in a simple tab delimited file. So a user can
>> use any software to extract additional features - you just need then
>> to add new columns to a data file.
>
> I've experimented with ImagePlot and know how it works. My point was merely,
> that the prescribed data files are not a good way to _share_ such
> information. Community based operations such as adding new or derived
> dimensions - i.e. a markup a-la wikipedia or augmentation via Matlab
> algorithms - are not part of the design of this tool. You may call this a
> feature request (or critique), which would - if available - make
> ImagePlot-style data explorations more accessible to people and increase the
> quality of the available image data.

I disagree. ImagePlot is a macro which runs inside popular free
open-source application ImageJ. People have contributed thousands of
macros to imageJ, and ours is just another such contribution.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/index.html
http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/plugins/index.html

In choosing ImageJ as our platform, we are very much hoping that
others will add new features and/or build other tools using our code.

We have documented the code, and happy to help anybody who wants to extend it.

>> We developed a system which uses Matlab to extract 400 features, and
>> we use ImagePlot to visualize the results.
>>

>>> Conversely, how
>>> would I acquire interesting content sets that span millions of images?
>>
>> There is one single solution.
>> With Flickr and other social media sites, its pretty simple to
>> download large images sets using their API.
>> With some other sites, you can use web harvesting programs. For
>> instance, we used SiteSucker to download one million manga pages.
>>
> I understand the opportunities - I have done it commercially in the past
> (see http://ica.blogs.com/en/2006/06/pictures_and_th.html) - but can attest
> that it is not always simple to get "cool" or legal content sets. Again a
> feature request (or critique), would be to add some "cloud based" data set
> storage to the tool to enable sharing of image sets amongst ImagePlot users.

I agree completely. However, note that our group is very small - its
me, one post-doc, and from time to time one part-time graduate
students. So we can't do everything we would like... I focused our
energy on exploring how ImagePlot and the methods behind can be used
with data relevant to variety of fields - from art history to
archeology.

Two years ago we applied for a grant to build a system along the lines
of what you describes - users submitting visual data and metadata, and
sharing visualizations and analysis. But we did not get that grant.