[iDC] Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Wed Oct 12 15:02:49 UTC 2011

Comments inline...

On 10/11/11 11:54 PM, Lev Manovich wrote:
> Andreas
>

> my answers are below:
>
>> Personally, I would also find it more
>> challenging and interesting to write the data scrapers that "harvest" image
>> sets from the web or come up with new analysis algorithms that calculate new
>> dimensions for existing images.
> And what are you going to do with the lots of scraped images and lots
> of extracted features? Thats why we create ImagePlot - it takes images
> and their features and visualize relations between images.

I don't dispute the merits and creative opportunities ImagePlot creates.
A visualization (or more generally, transformation) tool is obviously
needed to make such data collections accessible to the viewer/user. When
I find some time, I may try to code up a visualization tool myself and
contribute it to your group.

>> Let's say I write an algorithms that
>> determines the entropy (randomness) in an image ... How would you enable
>> someone downloading ImagePlot to apply this to their images?
> ImagePlot takes as its input a directory of images and information
> about their organized in a simple tab delimited file. So a user can
> use any software to extract additional features - you just need then
> to add new columns to a data file.
I've experimented with ImagePlot and know how it works. My point was
merely, that the prescribed data files are not a good way to _share_
such information. Community based operations such as adding new or
derived dimensions - i.e. a markup a-la wikipedia or augmentation via
Matlab algorithms - are not part of the design of this tool. You may
call this a feature request (or critique), which would - if available -
make ImagePlot-style data explorations more accessible to people and
increase the quality of the available image data.
> We developed a system which uses Matlab to extract 400 features, and
> we use ImagePlot to visualize the results.
>

>> Conversely, how
>> would I acquire interesting content sets that span millions of images?
> There is one single solution.
> With Flickr and other social media sites, its pretty simple to
> download large images sets using their API.
> With some other sites, you can use web harvesting programs. For
> instance, we used SiteSucker to download one million manga pages.

I understand the opportunities - I have done it commercially in the past
(see http://ica.blogs.com/en/2006/06/pictures_and_th.html) - but can
attest that it is not always simple to get "cool" or legal content sets.
Again a feature request (or critique), would be to add some "cloud
based" data set storage to the tool to enable sharing of image sets
amongst ImagePlot users.

Also merely attempting to "harvest" the web may get you into trouble
(i.e. see the precedences listed on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping#Legal_issues). I feel that
this should enter more the into the documentation, because these issues
are a cornerstone of "Data Literacy" these days.

Thanks,
Andreas

> [...]
>> challenging and interesting to write the data scrapers that "harvest" image
>> sets from the web or come up with new analysis algorithms that calculate new
>> dimensions for existing images. Isn't the more interesting problem to solve
>> one of enabling the "community" to get access to content and allow them to
>> markup the data algorithmically. Let's say I write an algorithms that
>> determines the entropy (randomness) in an image ... How would you enable
>> someone downloading ImagePlot to apply this to their images? Conversely, how
>> would I acquire interesting content sets that span millions of images?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas
>>
>> On 10/2/11 11:34 AM, Lev Manovich wrote:
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> I am Lev Manovich and my talk at the forthcoming conference will be
>>> called  "Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics"
>>>
>>> Here is what I plan to address:
>>>

>>> The joint availability of numerous large data sets on the web and free
>>> tools for data scraping, cleaning, analyzing and visualizing enable
>>> potentially anybody to become a citizen data miner. But how do we
>>> enable this in practice?
>>>
>>> What are the necessary elements of “data literacy”?
>>>
>>> How do we inspire students in traditionally non-quantiative fields
>>> (art history, film and media studies, literary studies, etc.) to start
>>> playing with big data?
>>>
>>> One the limitations of the existing popular data analysis and
>>> visualization tools is that they are designed to work with numbers and
>>> texts – but not images and video. To close this gap, In 2007 we have
>>> established Software Studies Initiative (softwarestudies.com) at
>>> University of California, San Diego. The lab’s focus in on development
>>> of new visualization methods particularly suited for media teaching
>>> and research.
>>>
>>> In my presentation I will show a sample of our projects including
>>> visualization of art, film, animation, video games, magazines, comics,
>>> manga, and graphic design. Our image sets range from 4535 covers of
>>> Time magazine to 320,000 Flickr images from “Art Now” and “Graphic
>>> Design” groups, and one million manga pages.
>>>
>>> In September 2011 we released ImagePlot -  free software tool that
>>> visualizes collections of images and video of any size. I will discuss
>>> how we use ImagePlot in classes with both undergraduate and graduate
>>> students to create collaborative projects which reveal unexpected
>>> cultural trends and also make us question our existing concepts for
>>> understanding visual culture and media. You can download software
>>> here:
>>>

>>> http://lab.softwarestudies.com/p/imageplot.html
>>>

>>> best,
>>>
>>> Lev

>>> Dr. Lev Manovich
>>> Director, Software Studies Initiative, Calit2<softwarestudies.com>
>>> Professor, Visual Arts Department, UCSD<visarts.ucsd.edu>

>>> twitter.com/manovich
>>> www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668367315