[iDC] Introduction

Tania Pérez Bustos tpbustos at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 02:34:57 UTC 2011

Dear all

I am Tania Pérez-Bustos a young feminist researcher from the Global

South, who is  affiliated to the Anthropology Department of the Pontificial

Xavierian University in Bogotá Colombia. My areas of research are

related with how gender dynamics perform science and technology popularization.

I have worked with a diversity of topics, between them with science

museums and free software communities in Colombia and India, and more recently

with media coverage of forensic science in Colombia. Right now I am working

on two projects. One of them is related to the understanding of the role of non

hegemonic gender positions in the communication of science from behalf

of women scientists in the Global South.

The other one is related to a postcolonial understanding of OLPC programs and its conditions of possibility in southern countries. This project is based on my work with the Free Software Communities in India and Colombia, particularly with groups of women involved in this collective initiatives (i.e. linuxchix). From the point of view of this women I

have come to questioned the pedagogical ideals of collaboration that Indian

and Colombian FOSS communities hold and that are imposed in local communities of

FOSS learners. That starting point of my research has also allowed me to analyze the pedagogical strategies that communities of women within FOSS communities develop to create a space for themselves inside a collective that is highly hierarchical, meritocratic and competitive. In this case I have found interesting the position this women take in relation to other women that are not familiar with FOSS. A position that is not always of

solidarity. I will be talking about this in more detail on MobilityShifs.

Looking forward to the discussion with you

Tania

Tania Pérez-Bustos PhD
Profesora Departamento de Antroplogía
Facultad de Ciencias Sociales
Pontificia Universidad Javeriana

Investigadora Feminista Independiente
Escuela de Estudios de Género - Universidad Nacional de Colombia

http://taniaperezbustos.jimdo.com/