[iDC] Intro for the IDC Mailing List for MobilityShifts

Henry Jenkins hjenkins at usc.edu
Mon Jun 20 21:43:52 UTC 2011

Hello All,
I look forward to interacting with everyone for October's conference.  Below, I have included my bio so everyone can read a little about what I do if you are interested.

Henry Jenkins is Provost's Professor of Communication, Journalism, and
Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California. He has written
and edited more than a dozen books on media and popular culture,
including Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide (2006).
His other published works reflect the wide range of his research
interests, touching on democracy and new media, the “wow factor” of
popular culture, science-fiction fan communities, and the early history
of film comedy. As one of the first media scholars to chart the changing
role of the audience in an environment of increasingly pervasive digital
content, Jenkins has been at the forefront of understanding the effects
of participatory media on society, politics, and culture. His research
gives key insights to the success of social-networking Web sites,
networked computer games, online fan communities, and other advocacy
organizations, as well as emerging news media outlets.  Prior to joining
USC, Jenkins spent nearly two decades at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology as the Peter de Florez Professor in the Humanities. While
there, he directed MIT’s Comparative Media Studies graduate degree
program from 1999-2009, setting an innovative research agenda during a
time of fundamental change in communication, journalism, and
entertainment.

Henry