[iDC] New Structural Transformations of the Public Sphere, new fluencies?

Jan Schmidt j.schmidt at hans-bredow-institut.de
Wed Jul 27 08:28:39 UTC 2011

Dear Ian,

thanks for your comment

> I would generally agree with the characterizations of the digital
> media disjuncture Jan here describes, but I wonder if there are
> alternatives to viewing these shifts in terms of "structures" and
> "fluencies."  I am struck by how the descriptions of our media
> present tend to encode certain theoretical assumptions about what
> constitutes "productive participation," and that too often we take
> those assumptions for granted.
>
> Does a public sphere matter if it doesn't accomplish anything?  If we
> need achievements (or failures) in order to define politics, then
> shouldn't we center our theories around those actions?

Yes, I completely agree.

Yet... :-) ... I see analytical value in differentiating structures and
actions - and bringing them back together in a concept of "practice"
which is always situationally performed AND situated within structures
(as restraints, rules, ressources).
Short excursus: My own heuristic model of computer-mediated
communication has three of these structural dimensions - rules (shared
norms and expectations), relations (both social and
hypertextual/databased) and code (technological affordances, defaults,
architecture).
[See http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol12/issue4/schmidt.html for a more
detailed version in the context of blogging practices]

So my focus on "networked public spheres" implicitly includes looking at
the _practices_ that are situated within them, and simultanoeusly
re-/produce them. It is these practices that might bring political or
social change - by changing the structures of the public spheres AND by
using the networked public spheres to achieve change in other social
systems. And it is these practices that call for certain fluencies or
skills (or you could argue that these practices are skills in itself).

>> in these new convergent media spaces, personal publics are pretty
>> dynamic and fluid - the metaphor here is the "stream" or "feed",
>> not the "issue" or the "show" or any other concept we know from
>> traditional media.
>

> Yet we might respond that the very idea of "public sphere," where
> "ideas" can be "debated" draws too heavily on our ideas about
> journalism and mass media, albeit transposed to distributed,
> peer-level communication networks (with wider reach, less overhead,
> but, generally, smaller audiences).
>
> Fluencies, too, seems very much about "reading information" or
> "producing push-feeds" on an individual level.  The competencies we
> might endeavor to teach in a/b/c below still reproduce the idea of an
> individual, active citizen/netizen
>
> I'm sure I'm echoing what others have written (this is not super
> original), but I'd be curious to think about how we can redefine what
> civic action means in this post-journalism and inertia-otic
> government era.  To me, this means identifying alternative
> collaborative action spheres, platforms for participation, that do
> things in the world.

These are good points - I've recently read Zizi Papacharissi' inspiring
book "the private sphere" where she reconstructs the debates around the
Habermas'ian concept of public sphere and deliberative action with
respect to the Internet. She also argues that the new arenas of
socially-orientied communication (SNS, Blogs, Youtube, etc.) should be
recognized as sites of "new civic habits" (her words).

> So, my own guess is that means a trial-and-error with diverse
> approahes to "productive participation," always questioning the
> theoretical assumptions we are bringing to our notions of action.
> Rather than opting for more open realms for a conversation around
> ideas, it may be that ideas will gain more political traction (and
> perhaps weight with skeptical scientists and administrators) if we
> think less about public "spheres" and more about how things get
> done.

As a politically active citizen I agree, as a analytically active
scientist I'd still like to analyse structures and spheres.. ;-)

Cheers,

Jan

--
----