[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 16:56:16 UTC 2011

Commenting on Florian's observation that the arts and humanities are
disconnected from one another - what is generally true of continental Europe
is not entirely true and not the case in the UK. Norway has creative writing
programmes within humanities departments, as does the UK. Austria is
starting up creative arts PhD programmes. The Swiss have been at it for a
decade. Holland has initiated its first practice based PhD programme. Most
UK art colleges are now in universities and are funded to undertake creative
arts practice based research. This is becoming the case in Australia and
Canada as well and I am aware of some instances in Norway, Denmark and
Holland. There are also moves in Austria, with the Austrian Science
Foundation funding creative arts practice as research.

In the UK we have the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) which not
only funds creative arts research but seeks synergy between that and the
humanities, as well as with other research domains through Research Councils
UK. Within Europe there is the Humanities in the European Research Area
programme, substantially modelled on the AHRC, which funds creative arts
research along with humanities. That programme will be sustained for the
foreseeable future. The FP8 Social Sciences and Humanities strategy document
has niches within it that will allow creative practice to be funded as
research, with creativity a major theme. This is all good news and a reason
why the arts and humanities should work together. They strengthen one
another. It was not that long ago the humanities were not considered as
serious domains for research either and received very little money (usually
consequent to social science funding).

The down side is that to get research funding you do need to be doing
research. You will not get funding to make art. Your project needs to fulfil
the basic requirements of research, which are the same for the arts as for
the sciences. It is the methodologies and the form of the outcomes that
differ. The argument now is not whether creative arts practice can be
research but what new insights can be developed through it. Stephen
Scriveners foundational writing on this is thoughtful.
http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/research/papers/wpades/vol2/scrivenerfull.html

The other negative is that as art colleges realise that they can double or
triple their income by focusing on research (in the UK teaching is often
undertaken at a loss to the institution) they are requiring staff to be
research oriented. Part of that is requiring them to have PhD's. Most UK art
colleges, dance academies or theatre schools expect this. For artists who
want to make art and teach, as they have for decades, this is bad news. For
those who are keen on blurring the boundaries of what art can be, seeking
cross-over activities with other knowledge domains, it is an exciting time.
It also creates a new revenue stream for those institutions ahead of the
curve in developing research capacity, as it is these that teach the PhD
candidates who will be the next generation of artists, arts researchers and
teachers.

This debate is also underway in the US, asking what should be the terminal
degree for a professorship in the creative arts. James Elkins' book on the
subject has some useful insights, although his core argument is problematic
(compared to Scrivener's) and particular to the States. Smith and Dean's
Practice-led Research, Research-led Practice, written by people in
institutions with established creative arts research programmes, offers more
embedded views.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs | simon at littlepig.org.uk | www.littlepig.org.uk