[iDC] Computrace query

Jonathan Beller jbeller at pratt.edu
Sun May 23 06:30:22 UTC 2010

Dear IDCers, a moment of your expertise if you have the time (I beg
you to forgive the ignorance which the question below betrays):

At long last (6 years) my institution has agreed to buy me a new
computer. Long story short I asked to bypass our IT department and
receive the unit directly, but Pratt requires the installation of
Computrace, and will not turn the computer over to me without it. My
preliminary investigation of this program by the aptly named company,
Absolute Software, shows it to be spyware capable of grabbing real
time screen shots from my computer, monitoring key strokes, and
remotely deleting the hard drive. Supposedly these features are
activated only in the event of the computers theft, but I do not take
much comfort from such assurances. First is this assessment of
Computrace's capacities correct and second, does it not seem that
acquiescing to the installation of such programs institutes an
unprecedented level of surveillance over our intellectual and sensual
exploration as well as our very creativity. We know that in principle
our every screen-view and inscription is retrievable by those who have
immense power over us. If this understanding is correct, how can we
tolerate that our liberal arts institutions allow a window open to the
possibility of human freedom be closed not only for us but --should
this situation become the standard -- perhaps for all time?

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated and also used to develop an
arsenal to change our institutional policy should that prove to be the
proper route.

With thanks,
Jon Beller

Jonathan Beller