[iDC] Replacing Facebook

Ian McArthur ian.mcarthur at unsw.edu.au
Sun May 23 01:29:48 UTC 2010

Regardless of the technologies and the capablity of the developers
Diaspora will likely only gain a measure of the market if it has
appeal to the market (cred, cool, usability etc...) - Diaspora is
actually a pretty unappealing name despite the apparently intent
behind it. Maybe you think naming is irrelevant? I don't think it will
fly if it is called that. Not if we are talking about a product that
wants to compete with Facebook (maybe that's not the real goal - I
don't know...). If it's aimed at geeks only well who knows.

The privacy and intellectual property concerns that seem to be driving
the move to develop Diaspora and one might assume other alternatives
to Facebook might also be reframed - even just to consider the
possibility of alternatives. The 'face' of it seems pretty sinister I
agree. On the one hand my first gut response is to be concerned about
my privacy but on the the hand when I reflect a bit deeper that
response is actually running counter to my interest and support of
Sharism. Isaac Mao's essay, Sharism: A Mind Revolution over at
Freesouls is a great overview:

http://freesouls.cc/essays/07-isaac-mao-sharism.html

An example: I've been interacting with a new co-working space in
Shanghai called Xindanwei. They have a small online project happening
that is completely transparent - there is no 'privacy' at all and it's
kind of liberating.

http://xindanwei.com/

Maybe another way to look at all this is to break up the assumptions
we have about intellectual property and privacy and consider
alternative models. Maybe it's a case of don't be part of Facebook if
you don't want to 'share'...

Ian McArthur

Developer and Producer | The COLLABOR8 Project  | Omnium Research
Group | http://porosity.c8.omnium.net.au/
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/porosityc8
COFA Online Undergraduate Coordinator | Lecturer | School of Design
Studies

E ian.mcarthur at unsw.edu.au | T   +61 2 9385 0644 | M  +61 405 814 105
Location:  College of Fine Arts (COFA) The University of New South
Wales Greens Road
Paddington Sydney, NSW 2021 Australia | CRICOS Provider Code: 00098G