[iDC] Anyone using SL

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Jan 7 06:28:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Jean Burgess wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Can you indulge me in doing a quick and unscientific survey?
>
> How many of you know any SL users who you did not first encounter in SL, and
> who are not primarily in some way professionally interested in the potential,
> uses or implications of SL (e.g. for education, marketing, research)?

I've known a number of artists beforehand who are in SL - but they're
interested in the creative (artistic) uses of SL - which include, of
course, architecture, performance, dance/choreography, sculpture,
interactive works, and so forth.

What's interesting about your question - if someone's _not_ interested in
the uses or implications of SL, he or she would most likely either leave
or gravitate towards the sexual/communal areas. There's not much reason to
be there otherwise. RPG absorb almost all of the online/virtual world
audience - which is given something to do/accomplish - and community or
sex or relationship is built on or through that.

- Alan