[iDC] Off Topic: Defining networked art

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Fri Dec 17 16:44:09 UTC 2010

In technological networks one distinguishes the following dimensions for
example:
- topology: star, ring, mesh
- scale: local, wide, global, virtual/overlay
- connection: wired, wireless, RF, IR
plus other factors such as security or speed.

These "tags" do - at least to some degree - apply to most digital art,
but are not synonymous with "the net" (aka Internet) as they are much
more abstract. While technical in nature, they may also be transferable
to non-digital artifacts and art allowing some of the technical analysis
to be transposed out if its common use. For example the "star network"
has - technically speaking - some advantageous properties (good
performance, node isolation, simplicity) as well as disadvantages (hub
dependence, size limitation, expensive network). I believe that it would
be quite interesting to apply such concepts outside its normal
engineering space to gain insights into the networked artistic processes
and might help add to your work on a "definition".

--Andreas