[iDC] Off Topic: Defining networked art

Heidi May mayh at ecuad.ca
Fri Dec 17 06:55:47 UTC 2010

Brian:
Thanks very much for the input, I appreciate all the encouragement I
can get! I'll take a look at your blog as soon as I can. I think you
are on to something with the "ing" and I had been thinking about this
before so I'm really glad you brought it up - aligns with other
research I have down about noun/verb and being "in process" and
related to my theoretical framework of a temporal epistemology (not
fixed, but knowledge in flux). Plus...one of my favourite resources
that I am sticking by (Bazzichelli, 2008) is actually titled
"Networking: The Net as Artwork" - which you can download here: http://www.networkingart.eu/english.html
I think why I was resistant to it at first was the same reason I am
sometimes resistant to both "network" and "networked," being that they
all conjure associations of business and marketing, and I'm trying to
focus more on the abstract processes of the components that produce
the artworks. [By the way, the Bazzichelli book references Baroni a
fair bit I think]

Brad:
I actually don't consider it a useful distinction either, which is why
I want to challenge and unpack the terminology in order to allow for
better understandings of what "network/ed/ing" in art could
potentially be. I also don't like "video art" and many other labels as
it is restrictive and not representative of the work. I actually am
even more resistant when these labels are placed next to "artist"
since I find that even more restrictive and dated for art today.

Jesse:
Yes, thanks....but glad you brought it up since a couple of other
people have mentioned it recently and I will need to return back to it
more thoroughly.