[iDC] Learning and sociality - re: Bill Gates's latest

VCG v.carrollgreen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:43:21 UTC 2010

Thanks, Lucia and Senom,

I'm trying to parse what you're saying, Senom, in how you, in a way,
'engineer' a social scene via on-line teaching.  I don't negate the
possibility, but I do have questions.  What strategies did you use for
creating a 'class outside the class,' i.e.  I'm intrigued with the idea of
having no lectures.

What strikes me as necessary in a scene are the elements of play and
randomness.  I know how to create this in a classroom; I've seen good
results sometimes from on-line situations, such as blogs, as I mentioned
earlier.  But if a course is completely on-line, how do you make that
'complex set of elements' bounce around?  Can you give some more examples of
what has worked -- and not?

Another thought that's been going around in my mind:   In an interesting
moment during the feminism's Second Wave, a dear colleague offered a Marxist
interpretation of feminism as being the ideological helpmate of capitalism's
need to get women into the workforce.  Feminism legitimated something that
was on its way.  I am a feminist and a Marxist slant on things doesn't
alienate me from feminism, but my friend Carol's ideas have always stayed
with me.  Apropos, I wonder if we might consider that the theorizing we do
about on-line learning, however vital, elegant, subversive, intelligent and
necessary, serves global capitalism quite well?

Best,

Vanalyne