[iDC] Learning and sociality - re: Bill Gates's latest

Senom Yalcin sonicim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:50:51 UTC 2010

Hi,
This is very interesting and of contrast to my personal experience. Not as a
student, but as an instructor.

I taught an online graduate class (strictly online, not blended/etc) for
over 5 years, and as far as I have observed, students not only interacted in
"class", but also took it beyond and interacted outside of class.

None of this, however, happened coincidentally. I specifically designed
every "classroom" experience to make sure they socially were engaged as they
discussed or worked on whatever material we dealt with. In addition, to also
make sure they interacted outside of the course about the material, in their
own terms, I designed projects they would work on. The tasks were designed
specifically to make them interact with each other and there was really no
other way to work on what they worked on in an effective manner.

In addition, I was there to very actively facilitate these interactions, you
know, not just gave them a project to work on. When I did not do a good job
of facilitation, the whole class got adversely affected (there were a couple
times I was not perfect, yes) even if everything else was the same.

I am not trying to blame anyone with bad teaching if their online classes do
not work this way, but the key point is, unlike me, most instructors have a
significant on-site teaching experience and they tend to try to transfer a
lot of it to their online teaching... Like using videos. Video, for example,
is a form of lecture and lecturing is not the strength of online
interaction. Yes, it is a fantastic experience to listen to a fantastic
lecture, but internet is not the place for it (okay, it is, but what I mean
is, it cannot be the main learning element. You can have video, you can have
lecture, but you really need more to achieve social engagement, and to get
the best out of the online context. And it is not just one thing, it is a
complex set of elements that you need to design into your instruction. FYI -
my class had no lecture element) and I strongly believe that we should use
media for what they are good for. And for online learning, we need to focus
on what the Internet helps us achieve best (best of a few): interact. And
this is where constructivism also comes in, in its very true sense. Even
just the very basics: teacher is not the authority, students construct their
own meaning, etc.

(There is a lot of literature on all of this - sorry I have not used any
references as I am pretty busy at the moment but I can respond to specific
questions, if any).

senom yalcin