[iDC] learning ecologies

Sean Justice sean at seanjustice.com
Tue Apr 20 12:58:16 UTC 2010

This conversation feels important to me as well, and I'd like to chime in
with an experiment I've been running these last several semesters --
exploring the question, namely, how to maximize the sharing and transfer of
information and learning in the seminar/classroom, i.e., how do we get more
participation from a broad range of students (I teach across a wide swath of
institutions, from Columbia and NYU to state/city community colleges)?

"Integration" has become a huge conceptual buzz‹a word that resonates
especially well in this work‹and addresses the central problem Michael
raises, namely:

>It is clear the technological ability at our disposal is capable of leveraging
monumental changes in developing communities. It is also clear that this raw
ability has outpaced our capacity to absorb it.

There are two things I play with in seminars and introductory classes:

1. the reading list changes from term to term but includes a hearty mix of
theory and pop culture, including snippets from newspapers and art
magazines, as well as from literary/theoretical texts, and, lately, from
YouTube too. Combined with this is a rather strict methodology that I ask
students to use (yes, it feels hierarchical, and yet, perhaps there's an
embedded anti-hierarchy): simply, I ask participants to read with an ear
towards life/world connections‹what resonates for you in this essay? Much
like you do, Micha, I'm asking for a one paragraph response, but I'm
specifying that the response emerge from a personal connection with the
material (what did this make you think about? remind you of?), and I ask for
subjectivities built around specific lines from the text (e.g., when she
says *this* I remembered *this*). This method seems to be working to some
extent. I still fail with it! But more often than not, participants offer

2. we're embedding responses within imagistic material (I mostly teach photo
and digital art) -- that is, within the metadata of a picture, within the
html/css of a site. In this way the text becomes subtext, and doesn't live
on its own, disconnected. I don't know how this is working yet. Initial
results are that it's challenging to some participants, but in a good way.
The goal might be transparent -- simply to get word/image to integrate
differently, in the hope that ideas begin to resonate across narrow
definitions of 'what it means'.... I'm not sure that makes any sense, but
after reading Michael's post I'd say this is my answer to his

>These structural integrations are themselves fostering new dynamic
>environments - ecologies - for sharing, learning, and creating...

...and that perhaps one way it's working is simply in distinction from what
students are asked to do in other contexts, ie., specifically, I'm not
asking them for a 'paper'... Another aspect *might* be that conversation
becomes multifaceted and puzzling, in the sense that confusion can be
constructive (arnheim) and that it cannot simply read/write itself (adorno).
My *hope* is that an institutional critique comes to be embedded within this
discourse, though I'm not approaching that goal head-on.

Anyway, I'd love to hear continued thoughts and ideas around these
challenges.

{a few background sources that inform this work:

Lankshear & Knobel in Alverman Adolescents and Literacies in a Digital World
(Lang 2002)

Walkerdine Children Gender & Video Games (Palgrave 2007)

Michael Wesch Mediated Cultures
http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/

and, way deep background, esp relevant to non-hierarchical pedagogy:
Atwell In the Middle (1987, 2nd ed 1998) -- ever since my initial foray into
teaching, in 1988, I've referred to her methodology}}

Thanks

Sean

--
Sean Justice
NYU Steinhardt

International Center of Photography
General Studies and Continuing Education

Parsons The New School for Design
BFA Photography

http://www.seanjustice.com/

Considering Pictures, an open journal about pictures and photography
http://seanjustice.blogspot.com/

C: 347/232-5471