[iDC] Periodizing cinematic production2

Jonathan Beller jbeller at pratt.edu
Tue Sep 8 15:04:48 UTC 2009

Jodi Dean writes:

It's as if current thought is stuck in the binary already diagnosed by
Schmitt: liberalism replaces politics with ethics and economics.

Yes, agreed, for the sake of this discussion. That is why Nicholas
Kristoff's recent article on Global Women in the New York Times, to
take just one example, reinscribes the ethical imperative of the
ecnomics of white-mans burden and conscripts NYT's readers to save the
women of the world from their law firm, advertising, and ok,
programming and professing desks. Very close to what Spivak described
in the British in India context as white men saving brown women from
brown men, but here of course, white women, and "all Americans" can
share in the indignation. Point is, that without a radical political-
economic analysis, gendered violence can not be fully understood.
There's much more to say on that, that should include the work of
Marxists-Feminists like Maria Mies but I'l leave it to the side, for
now.

As for Free Software, I am aware that there is much for me to learn on
this topic and about this movement, and that your comments here, Jodi,
are only the tip of a very large iceberg. At first glance, however, it
is hard to see how even infinite access to programs written for
computers, is going to overcome the separation/atomization/racism/
nationalism/fascism/capitalism that sustains inequality -- because the
programming runs deep. Unless, perhaps, the call for Free Software
actually means Free Commodities. I think that part of the point of the
discussion that Brian raised in an effort to periodize the commodity
form is not simply to recognize that computers and software are the
latest form that the commodity takes and that prior forms were
characterized by a different set of functions, but rather that the
commodity has all along been software -- an instrument of social
programming with economic, informational, visual and affective
components that simultaneously found a mesh with existing social
machinery while driving innovation and enabling new practices. What's
at stake then, would be in Ranciere's terms for the aesthetic, the
"distribution of the sensible." It may seem obvious to say things this
way, but to change the world we need new forms of sensibility. It is
at this level where a truly liberatory programming makes something
like intuitive sense to me. But this would involve recognize that not
only is a browser software, but so too is music, DNA and a ham
sandwich. Machines for the organization of the perceptible world.

Restructuring affect, creating community, generating movement by
reprogramming at every level...; Hm, the role of the revolutionary
meets that of the artist meets that of the hacker. Perhaps this is
where the paradigm of cinema gives way to the paradigm of software
(keeping in mind of course that without the intensive development of
the sensorium by industrial capital and the challenges posed to it,
the ground would not have been laid for modern computing.). However,
the recognition that the world is composed of ambient programs, that
require remediation in and by a struggle for both social justice and
self-realization, is not that far from Vertov's intuition that the
commodity itself had become an image organizing the visible world and
that role of film was a struggle over the form of this organization.

Maybe we could say with only a slight trace of irony that the Matrix
is in fact today's Man with a Movie Camera and recognize that there is
within the film a small (if fatal) programming error -- the hero is
not Neo, the One, but some as yet nameless entity that is the many,
the multitude. And yet the struggle to instantiate this narrative
element that used to occupy the identifiable place as leader of the
revolution against the expropriation of the commons is still one of
the real problems of our times. Isn't that the only point of our
upcoming conference worth taking seriously, to sift through the
findings to see if we can hit upon the platform(s) that will allow
maximum freedom for the maximum number? My concern here is that the
diversity of aspirations on a planetary scale far exceed the
instruments of perception of a conference of this kind. The situation
demands that we navigate carefully between knowing and openess, that
we recognize that programming means listening and learning as well as
speaking and writing. However, lest it seem that I have here fallen
back into ethics and liberalism, let me insist that the products we
make set out to do damage to the hegemonic powers of actually existing
racial formations, gender, nation and property, among other
reifications, -- for (to indulge in my own moment of strategic
essentialism) these are to be recognized as among the programs of the
enemy.

Jonathan Beller
Professor
Humanities and Media Studies