[iDC] hello all

Margaret Morse memorse at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 08:03:24 UTC 2009

Dear Douglas,
Let me express my sympathies.  It seems we hear of sad things as well
as happy things (marriages, babies, jobs?) in the margins of this list.

Your comment asking what is left to say led me think about what I
think is left to say.  (However, I may have missed big chunks of the
discussion.)  This is not to belittle in any way the overwhelming
amount of well-informed discussion of playlabor.  I am an outlyer
here, so these are not recommendations, just my perspective.

First, I haven't seen enough about the erotics of joining play and
work.  I don't think it is always a death drive dominating situation.
I am a bad example, of course, because I consider it a privilege to
have my play  and my work overlap to such an extent.  I consider
research a great adventure, a road trip, an open dialogue that gives
meaning to my life; to some extent that research overlaps with
teaching that is, at its best, playful and serious.  Writing is my
reason for being, though its been on hold for quite  while; it is
agony (clearly not the case for most of our posters) and yet it is
play itself.  My work thus dominates my life, into the wee hours and
weekends, etc. and yet it is my play, my choice.  I don't "have a
life" and yet I have a life worth living.

Second, this mixture of work and play has been a trend in American
culture for far longer than the exploitation of labors of love for
commons, open source, etc. on the internet by corporate capitalists.
Consider Arlie Hochschild's book of some years back researching the
increasing work hours and diminishing hours spent at home by parents.
Parents, male and female, were both vying with each other for who
would spend more time at work rather than having to be at home with
the kids.  Let's face it, for these parents, work was much more
socially satisfying than a home sphere that has gradually becoming
near desert in terms of social life and socially validated meanings.
Work was, in her study, more satisfying and more fun.  (I am putting
this all too simply.  It has been many years since I read her
excellent work.)  Now, networking and the virtual life import meaning
to some extent back home, but it hasn't made home more meaningful.
(This isn't to say home is really devoid of great meaning, it is just
not socially validated and shared as much.)  It isn't workaholism that
makes playlabor, it is our drive for social relations that we need to
thrive that also open us to exploitation.

Third, I haven't seen enough about play and labor and the combination
as psychical experiences.  We are getting at the social as eros when
we get back to Marcuse and via him Freud.  Semiotics in film studies
was largely concerned with how the pleasure of the  "fiction effect"
was produced in film.  There are many other psychical effects,
including those of sociality that to my knowledge haven't been
developed on this list very much.  There was an interesting spin on
this issue in the Sean-Jon-Jodi conversation but it wasn't worked out
except as an issue of a problematic individualism.  I shared one
experience from the dark ages of the late 60's early 70's with you
about second wave feminism.  Let me share another perhaps trite
example from my life in this period.  People's Park may or may not be
known to this list, but it involved very large demonstrations in
Berkeley with the aim of having the university release land for a park
rather than a parking lot/dorm.  It was about the counterculture,
ecology, radical politics, etc.  I got involved (as I usually did in
this period) and began buyng plants and planting them with many others
in a strip of land that was going to be developed.  Putting my plants
in the soil was a breakthrough for me, since it knitted me together
with everyone around me.  ("Brothers" and "sisters" disappointed me as
well, especially as time went on.)  The feeling I had was truly
"oceanic," a opening out and joining ever more together (see Freud's
eros) and it has stood me in good stead every since, because I don't
worry about losing my individualism or that I will ever forget my
compact with the human race.

For what it is worth.

Margaret Morse