[iDC] The difference between community and voices

Jean Burgess jean at creativitymachine.net
Thu Oct 1 06:16:55 UTC 2009

Hi Lucia

I think I share your view at least in part, but could you say a little
more about what you mean by "a lack of attention to action"? Do you
mean a lack of discussion about what actions might be made possible by
the theoretical propositions raised in discussion, or do you mean a
lack of attention to actually-existing cultural and social practice?

FWIW, I agree there is a gendered aspect to the dominant mode of
discourse on this list (as is true in the political "blogosphere");
but it isn't reducible to the gender of the actual participants.
Rather, I feel that the materiality of lived experience (or even the
specificity of case studies) is constantly backgrounded in favour of
the most astounding (but at times, really stimulating) abstraction;
and an at-times visibly strained mode of competitive discourse.

Beyond that I don't have a point, really, and that's OK with me. I
value "pointless babble".

Jean