[iDC] Exploitation....

matthew stadler businessofutopia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:17:47 UTC 2009

I'd like to introduce myself to the list. I am a writer involved with
publication. I coordinate print with social gathering and the kind of
user-driven digital commons that's being talked about here. My projects have
all been temporary or open-ended, built through strategic partnerships with
lots of people and some institutions, both where I live, in Portland, Ore.,
and internationally. suddenly.org is the most recent. Thanks to an unknown
volunteer, wikipedia's entry on
me<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Stadler>is actually fairly
good.

An older blog <http://www.urbanhonking.com/matthewstadler/>, "Matthew
Stadler's Personal Weblog," was entirely written by the MechTurk. More
interesting, I recently posted a HIT on the Turk asking for a PowerPoint
that "explains how to use the Amazon Mechanical Turk." I paid $10. Rather
than getting the "how to post HITs and find workers" presentation I
expected, a man called Rathika Lakshmi sent me a presentation about how to
make money by taking HITs, how to manage the Turk as a worker.

You can see Rathika's PPT on
YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV1tuI-E7tY>(posted with
Rathika's permission). It's funny and smart. Meeting him in the
wake of my HIT is not common, but it is not that unusual for me either. I
generally pay $10/job, so Turk workers often seek me out after taking on one
of my jobs. (You'll see in Rathika's presentation that this is in fact one
of his recommended strategies.) I think the potentials and dyamics of the
Turk are enormously complex, largely because Amazon has not subjected it to
rigorous controls or investment.

Matthew Stadler