[iDC] Exploitation....

Jonathan Beller jbeller at pratt.edu
Thu Jun 11 13:35:13 UTC 2009

Marks response to Howard (I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either
of you, Hello) speaks to an urgent need (addressed to a degree by Nick
Knouf and my own earlier post): if we hope to accomplish anything more
than the advance of capitalist-technologies (and the advance of our
own pleasures/careers) we require a more thoroughgoing account of
exploitation than is generally available. One does not have to read
even much beyond this list-serve to see that the old ideas about
individual autonomy, choice, pleasure and yes, human nature -- ideas
that properly belong to prior centuries -- remain operative.

After providing an example (of writing for Wikipedia) discussed with
reference to exploitation in a kind of close-up, Mark writes:

When it starts to become tricky -- at least conceptually -- is when my
work on Wikipedia (or tagging, or participating in other forms of UGC
production) gets folded into the demographic/psychographic/geographic/
(eventually biometric) forms of profiling that form the basis for the
emerging online commercial economy. Still a meaningful conception of
exploitation might help distinguish between the different productive
roles of our online activity -- and between infrastructures that are
more or less exploitative.

I agree with this statement with one caveat -- it is always already
tricky. The autonomous user interfacing with the isolated media-event
simply does not exist. The preconditions to both sides of that
equation (user/technology) are nothing less than world history itself
(a history that includes, racism, colonialism, patriarchy and
genocide). One might wonder how participation in Wikipedia might leave
most of that history (for which we ourselves are part of its living
legacy) undisturbed, or worse, further buried in the unconscious of
our digital high. And we might also want to wonder how participation
in Wikipedia might actively redistribute the claims that a history of
violence and exploitation makes on all of us in a way that makes its
call more audible, more actionable. It is here, in this moment of
wondering about the politics of our own production, that we might
grasp the moment of the utterance, of the interface, as itself a
political moment. Put another way, a particular user of an interface
may have been conditioned to be satisfied with his/her wage of
pleasure/recognition in exchange for his/her attention/virtuosity, but
how does his/her cognitive-sensual labor attend to the 2 billion
people on the planet that live on less than two dollars a day --
people who may not be too worried about global armageddon, because for
many of them the worst thing in the world has already happened.

For what it's worth, pretty much all of my work has endeavored to
think about (and thus to transform) the dominant relationships between
mediation and exploitation. I am attaching a 2003 essay I wrote which
was later revised to become the introduction of my book The Cinematic
Mode of Production: Attention Economy and the Society of the Spectacle
for anyone who might be interested. I should say that my sense of the
priority of cinema has shifted somewhat from the time of this writing,
but many of the analytical strategies utilized in this essay
(including the attention theory of value that dates back to 1993 or
so) I still find to be useful. Of course there is much more work to be
done -- and I am very excited to see that it seems that together we
are doing some of it.

All best,
Jon

Jonathan Beller