[iDC] Late Introduction

Chris Barr chris.barr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 00:41:07 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Trebor has asked me to introduce myself and my artwork.

I am an incoming Assistant Professor at West Virginia University's Dept. of
Art & Design. My artwork normally revolves around individual service
offerings that utilize audience generated content. The following three
pieces specifically deal with aspects of labor and play:

• "Bureau of Workplace Interruptions" (http://www.interruptions.org) offers
workers random communications designed to disrupt their workday.

• "Chris Barr is Available on Thursday" (http://availableonthursday.com/)
allowed internet participants to assign me tasks two months.

• "CosWork" (http://chrisbarr.net/projects/coswork/) is a small series of
photos of CosPlayers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay) in costume in
their work environments.

A thought: In what I believe is the most important sentence in A Grammar of
the Multitude, Paolo Virno writes, "Nobody is as poor as those who see their
own relation to the presence of others, that is to say, their own
communicative faculty, their own possession of a language, reduced to wage
labor." Should he consider replacing "wage labor" with "advertising
opportunity" in a future edition?

I have been enjoying the conversations happening on this list for some time
and hope to emerge further out of lurkerdom in the future.

Play well,
Chris Barr
http://www.chrisbarr.net