[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 12:11:38 UTC 2009

Dear Burak,

I´m sympathetic to any value calculations, but do you really want to morph any commons and sharing space to a market exchange, and hence also induce pure free market behaviours, i.e. only add use value because it directly returns exchange value.

This should really be at the heart of the debate, we now have a imperfect but real commons and peer to peer behaviour in both commons based peer production and the sharing platforms. Introducing tit for tat exchange mechamisms would crowd out such behaviour making it into another market form.

Something altogether different is to apply what is already happening in the Linux economy, on a non'coercive basis, i.e. the businesses profiting from the commons are ´benefit'sharing by supporting the commons as a whole, by sustaining the infrastructure of cooperation, in particular the for'benefit foundations managing them, and by making participation more individually sustainable by hiring free software developers to work on furthering-strengthening the software commons.

Do you have any proposals on this, which may derive from your proposed ability to calculate participation value?

Michel