[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Fri Jul 3 17:01:46 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas

> So the bottomline for me remains: Unless endpoints are getting more
> carbon-footprint neutral, distributed networks do not change the
> ecological equation of the Internet whatsoever.

that and the fact that when one extracts the Internet from the entire
global techno-social infrastructure that is necessary for it to
exist/function, one creates a model that is only theoretically valid,
one that is absolutely not a realistic reflection of what is.  this
entire techno-social system can never be carbon-neutral, it can only be
carbon positive -- that is the nature of life-systems -- they create
various concentrations and rarefactions of (material) energies through
the fundamental processes of living.

the apparently complex technological systems that human life has
constructed cannot overcome this fundamental characteristic.  it is only
through the fantasy of reductive number juggling of abstracted
sub-systems of the whole that we might fool ourselves into believing we
have no impact.

jh