[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Fri Jul 3 05:31:39 UTC 2009

I fully agree with your statement, however my point was less about
community control and capital interests, but more about the
environmental impact that all this networked tech-stuff has.

I think that from an energy standpoint, distributed networks are just as
wasteful as centralized cloud computing, if not worse. Each peer node is
using consumer hardware - a PC, router + cable modem in always-on mode.
These are components which seldom have the fine-grained power control
and load balancing modern server farms can achieve. I totally agree that
a distributed peer networks - in absence of a centralized server
infrastructure - would be better. But that setup is an utopia in my
view; the centralized infrastructure will always be there as well. It's
like with spam - it does not stop to flood our inboxes, because enough
people (who?) will still click on the links.

Let's estimate for example the instantaneous power load for the eDonkey
network. My trusty mlDonkey client will immediately connect to a few
servers, which show about 850K users are connected to the p2p network
right now.
Server                          Users       MaxUsers
peerates.net                  94783        250000
www.usenext.to          611621     1000000
Sharing Kingdom 3      159871     350000

These users will support my request for - say - the download of "Fr -
Les Pirates De La Silicon Valley - Histoire Des Fondateurs De Microsoft
Et Apple - De Martyn Burke, 1999 - (Film Documentaire p2P Peer To
Informatique Pc)" which is supposed to be available in the network
(illegally?).

Each endpoint will probably consume on average 100W of power for the
download which takes probably 8 hours. That's a nice 680kWh of energy
during this time - for the endpoints alone. Of course during these 8
hours the network will also carry hundreds of thousands of other
downloads (mostly porn), so the individual will only see his/her own
cost ... for my rig that is about 1kWh or about 0.20cents in actual
costs all the while the system was used to write this email and doing a
couple of other online tasks + I watch the movie for another 0.03cents
in power once the download completes.
Cost: 23cents, Time: 11h, Own: 1 file on the HD, Legal: no
User Power Consumption: 1kWh, Fractional Power Consumption for delivery:
680kWh/80K downloads = 0.01kWh

Now let's compare that to a Netflix-scenario and stream "Hang 'Em High
(1968)" (the Pirates movie is not available as stream). They probably
run a big datacenter and the 2 racks of blades that support my query and
and feed the actual movie stream run probably about 10KW each, thus
sucking 60kWh out of the grid in 3h. Again at least a thousand other
users are supported during the same time by the providers hardware. So I
watch for 2-3 hours and turn of the PC afterwards. I also pay 0.33 cents
in membership fees + 0.03cents in power while watching the movie.
Cost: 36cents, Time 3h, Own: nothing, Legal: yes,
User Power Consumption: 0.13 kWh, Fractional Power Consumption for
delivery: 60KWh/1K streams = 0.06kWh

Of course a proponent of peer networks might now say, that this is a
wrong calculation, since the computer in the Netflix-scenario is not on
for 3 hours, but for much longer (i.e. for work and other tasks) and
thus can do the peer-stuff in the background for free. Totally true - I
have my box on all the time and never turn it off. For convenience the
cable modem and wifi router are on all the time as well. I am sure many
on this list will have similar setups and PCs that are on at least 50%
of the day.

With the assumption of an always-on endpoint, the equation changes again:
User Power Consumption: 2.4kWh, Fractional Power Consumption for
delivery: negligible compare to user power consumption

So for most people the discussion forks here around issues of ownership,
media cost, speed of access ... because energy is cheap (compared to AC)
and unavoidable (for convenience).

But the problem that I originally raised about the network creating a
significant power load, shows up again when we consider all the services
one could have used during the 24h on-time of the PC: UPS, eBay,
thinkgeek, google, yahoo, slashdot, email server, hotmail, skype, 10
websites, etc. etc.. Now the Fractional Power Consumption goes up again
rapidly ... because all the servers that support a "possible delivery"
of content are on as well, regardless if I download content or not. In
fact the more access to services I can have and the better the services
get the worse this fractional power consumption gets even with data
center optimizations in place. While actual numbers are hard to come by,
they are probably not very good. One could read 1-2% of total global
power consumption a few years back. Tendency increasing, since every
1000 iPhone which are sold need an extra AppStore server.

So the bottomline for me remains: Unless endpoints are getting more
carbon-footprint neutral, distributed networks do not change the
ecological equation of the Internet whatsoever.

--Andreas