[iDC] Net (dot) Geo. The emergence of the geospatial web

Juan Martín Prada juan.martinprada at w3art.es
Wed Jan 21 23:38:50 UTC 2009

Dear John:

Thanks for your comments on my brief text.

What you say remind me about some essays that came out around 2004 focused
on the question if locative media might challenge, or be complicit with
coercive forms of social control, and on the possibilities to transform that
new system of domination into a participatory and critical milieu.

Maybe Drew Hemment’s text “Locative dystopia”
http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0401/msg00021.html   is one
of the best examples of these early works. It is also interesting the
article “Exhibiting Locative Media” based on selected postings from the New
Media Curating discussion list
http://www.metamute.org/en/Exhibiting-Locative-Media-CRUMB-discussion-postin
gs

On my opinion, although accepting that 'locative media' represents an
avantgarde of the 'society of control' I am quite optimistic about the ways
that “locative utopia” rubs up against the “dystopian” (using Hemments's
words) situation of total control, and about its potential for enriching the
(social) experience of the shared digital/spatial dimensions of a place
will try to post soon another text in which I go into that in depth.

Thanks!

"Saludos" from Madrid

Best,

Juan