[iDC] "Wikipedia Art" and the accused minor case

Lucia Sommer sommerlucia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:13:15 UTC 2009

Dear Kate,

While I'm far from uncritical of Wikipedia, it seems to me that the Wiki
editors were right on this one. There are serious ethical issues involved in
cases like this. Just because the kid's name is all over the news (likely
violating journalistic standards concerning the naming of minors) should we,
on top of everything, permanently enshrine him in an encyclopedia as an
"animal abuser"? He is still a kid, after all -- and moreover, he has not
yet had his day in court. What if he actually faked the abuse? What if he
was under the influence of drugs or somehow forced to do this, or the victim
of severe abuse himself (often true of  cases like this). What if he was
misidentified or offered a false confession? We don't know all the facts
here.

This is why there are also standards of journalistic ethics involving all
*accused* persons, not only minors. The idea is to prevent people from being
tried by the press before they are tried in court. In this case, those
standards have clearly been violated.

One thing I do think Wikipedia can be commended for is their strict policy
on libel and defamation of living persons. I witnessed the importance of
this when a friend was repeatedly libeled by a mentally unbalanced person. I
was very impressed with how the Wiki editors dealt with the case. They
didn't rush to judgment either way -- they took time to consider everything
and in the end removed the false and libelous comments.

If someone wants to write a Wiki article because they consider this an
important event, they should title it something else -- "online vigilantism"
perhaps -- and refrain from naming the accused.

Best,

Lucia

Lucia Sommer
60 College Street