[iDC] The 50-Year Computer

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Tue Sep 30 23:21:08 UTC 2008

i would love a 50-year computer. shopping isn't something i enjoy, & i
get really tired of having to compare all the different possibilities to
find the "best" deal, when the truth is that most of what i use my
computer for hasn't changed in the last 10 years. speed is the main
improvement. i'm sure there's a way that any extra bits that were really
needed could be plugged in on an external hard drive or something like
that. i have a kitchen whizz and an electric drill that i've been
happily using for over 20 years & showing no signs of wearing out. my
car is 44 years old & i fully expect to be still driving it when it's 50
(unless the price of petrol prevents that).

i heard an interview on the radio a while back about very cheap power
tools; some bright spark had worked out that the "average" person only
uses their electric drill for 6 minutes a year (in new zealand),
therefore it was only necessary to make a drill that would last for 18
minutes of drilling in order to sell it with a 3 year guarantee. if
someone used it for more than 18 minutes & the moving parts wore out, it
could just be thrown away & replaced, because it was so cheap to make
(all the moving parts being only designed to last for such a short
time). the interviewer asked what one should do if, for example, you
were building a deck and knew that you would need to drill for more than
18 minutes. the answer was, just buy 3 drills - they only cost $15 ...

somewhere out there, beside that huge pile of obsolete computers, is a
huge pile of worn-out 18-minute drills ...

h : (

Patrick Lichty wrote:
> I find it interesting that introducing such a polemic consistently
> creates this sort of response.
> Please read closer; note that I say that I have no real expectation of
> destroying Intel, but perhaps to create another class of computing,
> and shifting the crux of innovation to software craft.
>
> In addition, I also understand that technodeterminism will remain. I
> merely polemically question the real value of what we have done, and
> whether other models could be useful.
>
> I also argue that in many ways (not all), much of computer use since
> the 1980's has NOT fundamentally changed, given certain constraints.
>
> Ned Ludd has not channeled through me, lads. I'm thinking about
> sustainability, reduction of toxic production, streamlining of
> ubiquitous computation, futurism vs. 30-year old evolitionary trends,
> etc. I am not necessarily calling for my slide rule, but perhaps for
> my Gibsonian "Sandbenders" computer. While some are thinking that I am
> being regressive, I feel that this could be very forward thinking, if
> executed in the proper way.
>
> On another list, someone asked if I were drunk...
>
> Good, good!
>

> *
>
>     Simon Biggs <s.biggs at eca.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> *
>
>     John is right. Turing’s idea of the universal machine works (as an
>     idea) in so many contexts because it is both simple and low-tech.
>
>     It could be argued that any socially relevant technology needs to
>     change constantly, just like the society that produces (and is
>     enabled by) it. I would cite language as a technology which is an
>     exemplar of this. It is important that it is fixed enough that we
>     can share a degree of understanding in its use. However, it is
>     equally important that it is fluid and motile, allowing for new
>     formations of signification and community. If it sometimes get
>     broken or abused as a result of this – well, that’s not so bad. It
>     is part of change.
>
>     Bill Gates may have argued that operating systems should be like
>     the interfaces we employ to drive cars (all the same) but one can
>     just look at this idea in practice (Windows) to see how wrong he was.
>
>     One could argue that it is cars and traffic systems that are
>     unsustainable in their fixity. I accept that without clear shared
>     rules, that change with due preparation, our transport systems
>     would cease to function (one outcome of this would be the use of
>     less carbon and thus enhanced sustainability) however we have only
>     had cars and roads, in their current high density/performance
>     form, for less than one hundred years. That is not a long enough
>     period of time to evaluate the sustainability of such a fixed
>     system. In fact, it looks like as a system it will be redundant
>     before we have that opportunity.
>
>     The 2nd law of thermodynamics may be relevant here...
>
>     Regards
>
>     Simon

> [...]

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz