[iDC] The 50-Year Computer

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Mon Sep 29 14:46:57 UTC 2008

I see two parts to such a sustainability equation, the physical and the
cultural with the former being the basis for the latter (one has to have
the functioning device for it to have any social impact for example).
One could see the physical sustainability as a problem that can be
solved by divide-and-conquer techniques (=I am an engineer and this
comes natural to me).

Take for example energy. Todays connected digital computers are in the
most general terms "filtering" devices with a "distributed memory". Two
processes require energy to operate: the actual filtering (i.e. "a
program runs") and and the process of information distribution (i.e.
"connect to the net" and "view the screen").

A sustainable power supply is available for the foreseeable future in
solar conversion of light from the sun. In most places on earth a total
Insolation of 100W/square_meter is available
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Insolation.png). Assuming a device
size of 1sqm and a conversion efficiency of 5%, our device should make
due with about 5W for both the filtering/processing and the data
distribution/networking/IO part. This is merely a design limitation that
needs to be implemented in a device. And we have them today: portable
mediaplayers and smartphones.

I doubt however that the resulting devices - were we to make them and
hand them out to people - would see a cultural uptake for a variety of
reasons, but mostly due to their perceived limitations. Any device which
is limited, will require us to adapt to it for it to become useful. Take
the abacus as an example: very energy efficient calculator - but who on
this list has spend the time to learn how to use it effectively so it
can replace a calculator? Let me guess (and be honest): Nobody. So I
think the real problem for the makers of such sustainable computing is
the question on how to frame the device in a social context so that its
physical limitations do not preclude the short or long term usability.

As we can see, it is technically possible and generally speaking we even
still have the required energy to create such devices in the first place
(I bring this up, since it takes a large amount of energy to create an
energy independent device and we need to have that capability to get the
50-year computing bootstrapped.). But let's assume this can be resolved
also in a sustainable manner by scaling the production, then another
issue needs to be solved: the fact that the production of computing
machinery (which includes both hardware and software) is very capital
intensive. So right here the question of sustainable computing loops
back to questions of how to make economics sustainable, because
computing is 100% dependent on a physical artifact which seems
impossible to produce without our current economic system.

--AS