[iDC] please make comments regarding semantic overlay term

subbies at redheadedstepchild.org subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Mon Mar 17 15:43:52 UTC 2008

Sigh.  I'm no disciple of anyone but myself, thanks.

As for "the point is that interpretation by a human in context is where
meaning is defined" - I would completely agree with this, which is
precisely why I think you're tilting at windmills.  In spite of that
pretty statement you made, the ROOT of your argument is in fact a
complaint that machines are not currently capable of human nuance, that
they are not able to glean meaning from data.

To glean meaning is not the purpose of machines.  To glean meaning is the
purpose of humans.  The purpose of machines is to assist humans with tasks
that are too herculean for them to complete unaided.  Given the vast
amount of data presented to us, interpreting it all, unaided, in its naked
glory, is quite impossible.  To that end, machines are needed to sift.
But they are not, nor should they be, employed to derive meaning from the
data.  The only way that would be possible is if AI were a reality, which,
currently, it is not.

Your statement that machines will push information to us like TV is
ludicrous.  We have no control over what the television gives us beyond
changing the pre-programmed channel.  We do, however, have the ability to
program computers using whatever algorithm we feel is most meaningful and
most able to send us the information we want.  Perhaps you are mad because
the other people are not doing it for you in the way you most desire.  In
which case I say learn to program.  You are only as much a slave to the
W3C as you allow yourself to be.
-Alexis

   redheadedstepchild.org
        ------- +