[iDC] Fwd: Social Ethics, Social Aesthetics, Social Beauty

Sal Randolph salrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:12:26 UTC 2008

Hey Peter,

Thanks for responding.

First a quick disclaimer - No one has been harmed in the making of
this art  :-)

(well, at least as far as I'm aware).  I'm still in touch with most
of the people I've done that project with and no one has been angry
or upset with me about it - everyone knows going in that they will
receive "a sum of money and a choice" so it's not all that alarming
to be given the choice as well as the money.  To say that I'm
interested in situations where a range of responses is possible, even
encouraged, is not to say that I'm personally interested in art that
is deliberately mean and manipulative (though Claire Bishop does
argue quite strongly for those aspects of some of the artists she
likes).  I'm pretty open with the people I meet during the project
about what I'm interested in and why.

Actually I think Darren O'Donnell's idea is a good one here:
"fruitful antagonism," by which he means setting up situations where
differences and frictions are allowed (or even provoked) but in an
arena where all is forgivable.  A good example might be his recent
project "Haircuts by Children" where he works with schoolkids,
training them in both conceptual art and hairstyling; then they offer
free haircuts to adults in local salons.  He did this not long ago at
Performa in New York, and I went.  I didn't actually mean to get a
haircut myself, but the salon ("Hair 2 Stay") was tiny and it was
quickly clear that being an "audience" was kind of ridiculous.  A
very serious 13 year old cut my hair (trimmed the sides of my
mohawkish style) - silent, tentative, unwaveringly concentrated.
Personally, I have a kind of hair-cut phobia already, and for years I
cut it myself just to avoid the awkwardness of sitting in a salon
chair.  Plus, I'm really attached to my hairstyle.  So for me it was
a little terrifying to put my fate into this kid's hands, especially
since she spoke very little english and was just as terrified as I
was.  And the results were... uneven - my boyfriend kindly called
them "punk."  But my point is here that 1) I'm still thinking about
our encounter weeks later and 2) a bad haircut is *forgivable.*   The
project wasn't "Eye Surgery by Children," after all.  Darren's got a
good instinct for situations which are interesting to the point of
discomfort, but not to the point of harm.

And point taken about "social ethics."