[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Timothy Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 4 14:07:31 UTC 2008

>Thanks so much, Patrick, for your balanced approach to this topic.
>I've shared many of your concerns about  this project's potential
>overemphasis on technology at the expense of education and community
>building.  My sense is that the world would be better off were we to
>channel similar bundles of funds into the establishment of
>experimental media centers, where the emphasis would be on youth
>empowerment, community input and involvement as much as individual
>surfing and self-directed education.  This doesn't mean that the
>MIT/Negroponte computers might not be especially helpful in
>launching such an initiative, but that the starting point should be
>what Patrick calls solid learning models and Social (re)Engineering,
>as well as local assessments of pratical computing needs (perhaps
>servers for storage of archives and launch of internet projects or
>gear for multimedia creation and expression) could be as useful as a
>computer in every pocket, where emphasis on educational output and
>technological collaboration would equal technological input and
>educational isolation).

I've been involved in launching a couple of exhibitions and
initiatives that have emphasized the kind of group learning that can
take place in experimental media centers.  A number of years back I
helped launch high profiles exhibitions in Mexico and Slovenia to
draw young people together for experimentation with new media, rather
than settle for the traditional model of separating them with their
own gear and surfing.  This isn't always going to work, but it tends
to empower local needs and approaches to global issues in computing
and education.   Even my approach to building the Goldsen Archive has
been to emphasize the building of a critical mass of artistic and
activist materials  and concerrn over the life shelf of these
intellectual materials rather than overinvestment in an excessive
number of  work stations and gear whose planned obsolescence will
exceed that of the primary materials.    Although Negroponte's team
might have something like this in place, about which I'm less aware,
I'd welcome heavy investment in such a communal approach to learning
through computing.

Best,

Tim

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English