[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Patrick Lichty voyd at voyd.com
Fri Jan 4 00:28:49 UTC 2008

Hello, everyone.

I;ve been a bit quiet - long semester - took a break.  SOmeday I'd liek to
get back to Scott Kildall's post.

Anyway, I tend to be a bit critical of the OLPC idea. IMO, it's the idea
that computers are superior learning tools, when, having seen US technology
& learning protocols, I'm a bit skeptical.  Although I could get behind the
idea of getting information tools into the hands of children I would be
leery of implementing a lot fo learning software for several reasons:

1: Technocratic Colonialism - Part of my graduate thesis research was on New
Media in Africa, and they have very different social & distribution models
than in the 1st World (only as a mnemonic).  WHat sort of impact will the
programs and hardware have on the kids in terms of how it will be
IMPLEMENTED.  I do not believe int he "Field of Dreams" approach here.

2: Social (re)Engineering - As mentioned in previous posts, OLPC seems
primarily focused on the tech part of the solution, which is a US paradigm.
Have any Sociologists been thrown at the subject of regionally or
culturally-specific implementations of technology?

3: What impact will the reuse have in the long run?  Given that a laptop
usually has a 5 year cycle, maximum, what are the ramifications of the
introduction of techno-waste into inreeasingly remote regions of the world?

4: Solid Learning models to accopmany the Laptops - I would not back the
OLPC initiative without a good, solid learning agenda, although OLPC may
feel that they already have one, and I'd be interested in learning more
about it.  I just have not been able to find it.

I'd liek to state that my criticism is not a dismissal of the project; it's
more akin to wary support, knowing quite well the face of techno-determinism
and the assumption that access to information necessitates learning.

As an educator, I would like to state flatly that the real solution to any
learning crisis is human, not technological.  Computers may help, but as in
Iraq (probably a bad parallel, but bear with me) the most effective
solutions have not been technological - they have been human.

Basically, don't send a billion transistors to do the job of three billion
nerve cells.