[iDC] shelf life

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Wed Nov 21 13:36:05 UTC 2007

Hi Richard,

lots of excellent food for thought... but there are two points I'd make

You say, in relation to the Variable Media Project:

>  some degree of re-interpretation is certainly required, the same as
> it's required of a conductor when leading a symphony in the
> (re)performance of a piece by Beethoven, or when a story is re-told
> again and again.

The problem I see here is precisely that the two examples you give are
not compatible, not of a kind. In fact, they represent fixity and
fluidity at their most divergent. A symphonic score, despite the
reverence afforded the conductor-as-interpreter, is an extremely fixed
musical form. Not just because every one of the thousands of notes in a
Beethoven symphony is played in identical sequence every time the work
is performed, and has been for two hundred years, but also because of
the extreme homogeneity within European classical music instrumental
sound culture. The fact is that the range of sounds heard between, say,
100 classical trumpet players playing Beethoven is less than that you'd
find between any two jazz trumpet players performing Body and Soul. Or,
for that matter two storytellers reciting Ali Baba and the Forty
Thieves, or the Iliad. Which brings us to what happens when a story is
re-told again and again.

The seminal work of Millman Parry and Alfred Lord in the early 20th
century, which laid the groundwork for a wide range of studies of oral
cultures, notably by Walter J Ong and his colleague Marshall McLuhan,
demonstrated conclusively that the widely credited feats of memory by
oral poets performing day-long epic poems were an illusion. Their field
recordings in Serbia and Croatia over decades showed that despite the
sworn assurances of poets and their audiences that they were reciting
their poems with 'word-for-word' precision year after year, their
poetic recitations were in fact 'woven', or improvised, from a vast
array of poetic stock phrases, also known in contemporary oral cultures
as 'riffs' or 'samples'. They were not at all 'word for word' or
anything remotely like it, any more than any two recordings of
Greensleeves by John Coltrane are identical.

The oral poet cannot possibly hope to compete with the symphonic
orchestra for narrative fidelity. Nor would he or she wish to. The two
forms of recitation are profoundly dissimilar. They engage different
neurons, different relationships, different dialogues. One would be
lost - void - without the written page, whose fixed directives the
musicians enact, and whose output provides listeners with an immersive
refuge in transcribed canonized genius. The other relies on a form of
creative expression that mashes up the intangible past freely, easily
and highly contingently in pursuit of a collectively renegotiated
present. One is literate, and fixity is its defining characteristic.
(Just see how long it takes to get thrown out a great orchestra for
getting any ONE of those thousands of notes wrong!) The other is oral
and has no fixed past, only the need to recreate one again and again in
its own shifting image, always new, always true.

But they are not in any way interchangeable. Nor can they be lumped
together. They are antagonists. They do not and cannot coexist within
the same cultural framework.

You also make some very valid points in defense of museums, while
recognizing their need to change, but in response to my point...

>> Museums are about art products not art processes, whereas folkloric
>> traditions are experiential and interpersonal by nature.

you say

> to say museums are not experiential is perhaps a bit much. After all,
> one experiences artworks, objects, installations, and the like, right?
> This is the whole idea behind a museum...

Well yes, we do. But as with the example above, the kind of experience
in each is very different. Knowing that one can come back tomorrow or
next year and see the same artwork in the same place, or buy a book or
postcard of it, knowing that knowledge is available 'on the shelf',  is
not the same thing as events experienced as unique, dependent upon a
social context that can never be precisely recreated.

Anyway, I'll cut my rant short here, fearing that I'm getting too
preachy (wouldn't be the first time) and again conclude with a strong
sense of doubt that older museums can abandon their historical mandate
to preserve authenticity in order to  become fluidly responsive to
context. And I say this though I know some excellent people working
passionately from within museums to make this happen. But it would be
like a bassoon player in a famous philharmonic deciding to improvise
during a performance of Ode to Joy, and being applauded by the
conductor fro doing so! It's just not going to happen. The two cultures
- fluidity and fixity - are very, very, very tough to reconcile.

So I remain a skeptic, tho I will definitely check out some of your
documentation, when I am not spending so much of my precious free time
writing long posts on this list!

Regards,
John