[iDC] shelf life

Richard Rinehart rinehart at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 20 21:55:55 UTC 2007

Hey John,

As always, good interrogation. I have some replies below......

>The Variable Media Project has disappointed me because the originals
>seemed so distant from the  re(presentation) as to seem entirely
>distinct, thereby eliminating the very continuity that it ostensibly
>sought to maintain. Now, if I catch your drift, I see that this
>degree of re-invention may be intentional.

Which examples of works preserved or re-created through the Variable
Media model have you seen? Perhaps I made it sound like there are a
lot out there, but there aren't. There was the Seeing Double
exhibition at the Guggenheim, but it really needs a lot more testing,
for exactly this reason. And yes, some degree of re-interpretation is
certainly required, the same as it's required of a conductor when
leading a symphony in the (re)performance of a piece by Beethoven, or
when a story is re-told again and again.

>>But I think one can have a hybrid model where digital culture is
>>preserved both by stable institutions and simultaneously by
>>unstable folkloric traditions.
>
>What we need is here is examples of creative cultures that have been
>'preserved' by stable institutions while simultaneously remaining
>relevant and vital within 'unstable folkloric traditions'.
>Unfortunately these can be hard to find. What is Outsider Art at the
>MOMA? Jazz at Lincoln Centre? What does Keith Haring's work
>represent now that his designs adorn bedroom walls instead of
>subways halls?

You are right; there aren't many examples of such hybrid
preservation, but one might be video games that are preserved by a
dedicated fan-base spread across the net and loosely self-organized
(MAME, etc), but video games are also preserved in collections such
as the Stanford Library
(http://kotaku.com/gaming/stanford-university/stanford-university-cataloging-huge-video-game-collection-250516.php).
And of course just because there aren't many examples doesn't mean we
can't do it if we need to and want to.

>Museums are about art products not art processes, whereas folkloric
>traditions are experiential and interpersonal by nature.

This barb is partly true, one has to admit a long-standing
over-emphasis on the object within the modern tradition of museums.
However, even this can change, and is changing as museums come to
understand that they are about context every bit as much as objects
and further upon the necessities of trying to preserve digital art
(much less performance art, conceptual art, etc). But to say museums
are not experiential is perhaps a bit much. After all, one
experiences artworks, objects, installations, and the like, right?
This is the whole idea behind a museum; instead of relying on
second-hand telling/writing, one can directly experience the
original. (one should note here that the over-emphasis of the object
arose out of a desire to preserve and make continually available to
the public *one* form of the "primary evidence" of our culture).

>the degree to which data transcends physical limitations is such
>that the very notion of fixity, and history, as many of us have
>noted, is undermined, and on some level even eradicated in the
>virtual sphere.

Exactly. And that is why I propose that our approach to preservation
of digital art cannot be one based on traditional museological
fixation on fixity, but needs to adapt the variability of digital
media into a strategy; turn it into a friend. The strange thing is
that data never really transcends physical limitations, it just has a
different relationship to them. Computation is never fixed to one
physical instance (that's why we don't need to preserve the
"original" Mac SE that the artist used), but computation does always
need to take place physically (so we need *some* computer). So, the
physical manifestation of <digital> data is one that is periodically
and variably physical instead of continuously physical. The dance
remains, as with human existence, between the logical and the
physical, the spirit and the body.

>The question is, to what extent are fixity and fluidity compatible.
>If we look in the world around us, I think we see that to some
>extent they are compatible. We see that compatibility - that
>biculturality - in ourselves, living as many of us do, for example,
>on a day to day basis, in the realms of ephemeral orality and
>literate shelf life, aware occasionally of the conflicts they
>engender within us as we make choices between speaking and reading,
>experience and artifact, fixity and fluidity.

Exactly, because fludity and fixity are not a polarized set of
exclusive opposites; one always has both, each on a continuum of
degree in relation to any one object or process. No form of social
continuity would work without some fixity; if every single word and
aspect of a story were changed, it would not be the same story upon
re-telling; it would not continue. Same with music, with digital art.
So, my proposal is just that, in relation to traditional methods of
museological preservation, we decrease the level of fixity and
increase the level of fluidity so that it more closely resembles the
mixture of say, musical works. I use this form as an analogy of
course, not a direct equivalent, but it's a good one because it's
another art form that is able to survive despite the lower level of
fixity. To my mind; fixity=integrity + fludity=longevity. Too much of
one and the work ceases to be the work, too much of the other and the
work will survive a very short time.

>I guess, having somewhat meanderingly tried to grapple with this
>idea above, that in the end I disagree. Not just that this is really
>fruitfully and integrally possible, but that it makes sense in the
>digital context, where cutting and pasting and mashing and sampling
>and updating - without reference to author or origin - is simply
>what people do. Period. Pushing against that wave in the interest of
>preservation of an original is, I believe, however valuable from our
>archival literate perspective, destined to be a marginal activity,
>relegated to the unappreciated fringe of post-literate artistic
>culture.
>
>And this isn't a manifesto. I'm not for or against this process.
>It's just what I see happening. I'm less scared by it than most
>people because i've devoted much of my life to learning oral
>practices and I know what we have to gain, as well what we have to
>lose, in the post-literate world.

I ended my paper on IP and digital art with a quote from you because
you're so good with the visionary insights. But here it seems as
though you're saying that museums have no role in digital art
preservation because they emphasize fixity to much, there is no need
for attribution or historical context in a remix culture anyway,
and/or because they represent the higher power in a power imbalance
between formal and informal social memory models.

I agree that we should really question the formal model of social
memory and museums in particular. And one outcome of that may be to
throw our arms in the air and say we can't work with museums or any
formal model - that will not starve the formal model out of
existence; rather it will just preserve the status quo.  Another
outcome would be to say that museums and other formal models need to
be continually re-visited and if needed, changed. Museums DO
represent the higher power in some power imbalances, and we can
change that equation. Change radically if need be. I still feel that
preserving digital art is worthy (not as commodity, and not all of it
- if some artists want to work ephemerally they should have that
right, but we should not out of hand assign all digital artists to
the "dustbin of history"). Further, there is a positive role that can
be played by our culture's formal social memory
mechanisms/institutions as well as the informal/folkloric.

That way have the possibility of preserving multiple voices, and
multiple ways of remembering. Yes, this means changing the equation
so that society doesn't privilege one at the total expense of the
other. I have to admit that part of my concern for say preserving
digital art is practical as much as theoretical, and I just can't put
all my eggs in the one basket of informal/folkloric tradition. Kurt
Bollacker also said that folkloric tradition in the digital era was
the way to go, and that digital porn will certainly be preserved, in
a distributed manner, for a long time. I agree, and I don't worry so
much about very popular forms such as porn or games being preserved,
but I do worry about the lesser-known, non-commidity, oddball,
aesthetic, or critical elements of our culture being preserved so
widely by themselves. Is that happening with digital art? Rhizome is
doing an absolutely heroic effort with the ArtBase, but not many
examples exist to prove that informal or formal is the better way to
go. Better hedge our bets and utilize redundant strategies.

As for the fact that so many just "rip.mix.burn" without regard;
fine! It's great for future researchers to have the "authorized"
biography, a little rigor and context as well as the multiple
"unauthorized biographies" that we all know are more fun and perhaps
in some ways, more true.
--

Richard Rinehart