[iDC] Shelf-life

Fatima Lasay digiteer at ispx.com.ph
Tue Nov 20 06:03:15 UTC 2007

Trebor,

I checked my subscription, it says:

"We have received some recent bounces from your address. Your current
bounce score is 14.0 out of a maximum of 25.0"

And I suspect the series of 'net prn' posts were rejected by my systems
spam-filter. There might be a few others who have had the same problem and
thus stopped getting postings from the list at that point.

Anyway, I checked the archives, and saw the shelf-life thread, and someone
mentioned foss.

I have old archives of video in u-matic pal (we are ntsc in the Phils) and
vhs pal, and the Film Institute no longer have the capacity to play them (I
requested esp for digital transfer purpose). This is because analog (and
esp the pal-systems) are no longer being supported by vendors here.

Digital has similar problems. At Queensland State library I asked about
their digital library/preservation systems, talked to this very
enthusiastic and efficient person who runs the system. One of their recent
migration problems had to do with jpeg headers, in particular because
Microsoft made some changes to their internet explorer browser, thus
expansive changes had to be done to the jpeg files. I asked why he didn't
change to foss browsers - he simply said we don't live in a perfect world.
Funny. I suppose when someone in management says we all use Microsoft
browsers, then it's hard to convince them of alternatives from the
computing dept. In other places (like here) it is the
vendor-trained/oriented programmer who says we use Microsoft or maybe foss.

Anyway, I thought the mention of foss had relevance, particularly vendor
defined shelf-life.

I wrote a statement about standards and the artist's position at
http://www.korakora.org/projects/node/228 - and has to do with the proposed
fast-track adoption of Microsoft's OOXML as an ISO standard (in addition to
OpenDocument Format, which is alsoready ISO/IEC 26300). I think the US
voted yes in the first ISO meeting and there will be a ballot resolution
meeting in Feb next year.

The Philippines voted no without comment (which is odd because comments are
mandatory, since the ISO process is supposed to address technical
improvement in the specification). So now Microsoft and CompTIA are trying
to persuade a change in our vote (as they are doing in other countries that
voted no). There are numerous reasons why OOXML should not be a standard
until it addresses voluminous comments on its specs, plus, we can't trust
Microsoft at all with their anti-competitive behavior.

I thought there might be people here involved in these issues, to see how
their national standards offices are dealing with standards, the adoption
of ODF for example is one. And if there are difficulties because of
blackmail, propaganda, etc. by US-vendor (i.e. Microsoft)?

This is in addition to issues of media physical longevity as previously noted.

         http://www.korakora.org/
          F a t i m a  L a s a y
         http://blog.korakora.org/
       Fats, Vitamins & Minerals