[iDC] how long is a piece of string?

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Wed Nov 7 14:05:43 UTC 2007

On Nov 7, 2007, at 6:00 AM, idc-request at mailman.thing.net (Karen) wrote:

> So perhaps we should not design applications that create
> in-between-ness directly, instead maybe we might construct
> frameworks in which
> in-between-ness can emerge depending on people's actions?

I complement the participants on the quality of the discussion.

I recommend this discussion be reviewed by those soa-forum
participatants who are interested in the original Clinton
Administration focus of "e_governance" as a human centric interface
between government and individual people.

I would like to summarize the forum discussion from a viewpoint which
I call "second school", and in this way delineate the differences
between a first and second school. ( www.secondschool.net )

Up to now, information technology is characterized as constructed
software interfaces that serve some utility while also serving as
returns on investment within a specific philosophical school
regarding capital formation.  Shannon information theory is only part
of the philosophical positions that are elevated by the "first
school".  Due to subtle scientific and philosophical issues, hard to
capture in the first school mindset, the alternatives to the first
school are not developed except in scholars language such as what
enfolds in the idc e-forum, and a few other places.

A second school about information recognizes more fully the situated-
ness  of individual human experience and seeks to define computer
human interfaces that capitalize the in-between nature of the
experience of location within various worlds, social, personal,
physical.

Maturana and Varela's work on autopoiesis certainly gives us one
approach to understanding the in-between-ness of situated awareness.
The idc forum often mentions both social biologists' foundation
works.   I would include in foundational work the work on action-
perception cycles developed by J. J. Gibson

 From wiki on Gibson:

James Jerome Gibson (January 27, 1904–December 11, 1979), was an
American psychologist, considered one of the most important 20th
century psychologists in the field of visual perception. In his
classic work The Perception of the Visual World (1950) he rejected
the fashionable behaviorism for a view based on his own experimental
work, which pioneered the idea that animals 'sampled' information
from the 'ambient' outside world. He also coined the term
'affordance', meaning the interactive possibilities of a particular
object or environment. This concept has been extremely influential in
the field of design and ergonomics: see for example the work of
Donald Norman who worked with Gibson, and has adapted many of his
ideas for his own theories.

In his later work (such as, for example, The Ecological Approach to
Visual Perception (1979)), Gibson became more philosophical and
criticised cognitivism in the same way he had attacked behaviorism
before. Gibson argued strongly in favour of 'direct perception', or
'direct realism' (as pioneered by the Scottish philosopher Thomas
Reid), as opposed to cognitivist 'indirect realism'. He termed his
new approach ecological psychology. He also rejected the information
processing view of cognition. Gibson is increasingly influential on
many contemporary movements in psychology, particularly those
considered to be post-cognitivist.

I suggest that the Gibsonian concept of affordance is of particular
interest "if" computer interfaces are to evolve under some type of
measure derived from the action to be taken.  Gibson and Karl Pribram
had many discussions about the nature of affordance; and there are
many nuances captured by the group at Univ of Conn, school of
Ecological Psychology (Shaw and Turvey).  We enter the field of
"complex natural systems" and the need for Robert Rosen's definition
of complexity.  Rosen's definition is essentially that all natural
systems other than formal systems are complex, and all formal system
are simple (non-complex).  Cognitive maps like Topic Maps can be
complex when experienced by a human interpretant (CS Peirce).
Mathematics and RDF-OWL ontology is simple (non-complex) but
complicated when used as fixed truth.  * These statements are "second
school" in nature.

The question of how the affordances possible in a situation are to be
modeled has been a key element of work done with web ontology
languages, particularly in the context of defining service
architectures.   These service architectures are full "anticipatory"
if and only if the action consequences can be modeled within the
context of being situated prior to those consequences. (footnote to a
longer paper on anticipatory design)

The schools here are using W3C standards based on what is called RDF
and OWL - with primary application in business, government and
military.  The application is clearly "first school" however - and
perhaps luckily.

Topic maps are used by some who are at least intuitively aware of the
issue of in-between-ness as situated.

There are specific issues that have to be resolved in order that the
correct formal tool, ie. Topic Maps, be applied in a second school
fashion, so that "the shape of a string" is addressed in the fashion
suggested by Wittgenstein in his "Blue and Brown Books".

Thank you all again of the thoughtful dialog, and please excuse any
error I may have made in my presentation.

Paul...

footnote on anticipatory design:

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/challengeProblem.htm