[iDC] shelf life

Adrianne Wortzel sphinx at camouflagetown.tv
Sun Nov 18 18:57:18 UTC 2007

>  Euripides remains interpretable today because the 'code' it is
>written in (whether the
>original or a translation) is open to humans to read. In the case of digital
>media (which is only one type of media that a media artist might choose to
>work with) the code is written to be read by a machine.

Hi All

I think the key word here is "language" and I am not sure we should
make a distinction between human and machine-read language, Language
can be considered such as spoken, written , coded, or it can take the
form of electronic and/or mechanical parts of anything that moves
where the parts "speak" to each other.  We don't know what
"language" w

ill be in the future...   it may not be biological, it may not be
mechanical, it may not even be electronic.  We can struggle to create
our work so it's capable of being divided into its tiniest elements
in order to be more easily reconstituted at a later date in light of
new developments, but its a dilemma.  Most artists are too busy to
deal with archival issues as a separate issue from their work, and
perhaps very few archivists have an understanding of how important
all this work is to the culture.  In fact,  there is another factor -
resonance --- most of the work being produced now which unfortunately
cannot be fathomed by the culture at large might have more of a
resonant effect  in the next 10-20 years. Some things are not
appreciated till they acquire patina.

Adrianne

--
Adrianne Wortzel