[iDC] the politics of journalism

Bernard Roddy bproddy at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 10:07:48 EDT 2007

Hey, Michel:  Thanks for the reply.  What you say strikes me as addressed to the initiated, and purposely not to me.  But perhaps I could try out some translations.  Can we define what you call "communal validation" as what people are prepared to actively support, and say that such support generally comes in the form of payment in some form?  You know, like the extent of validation is measured in terms of the extent to which profitable enterprises can flourish in the community.  Are there other forms of validation?  I was also struck by the reference to social reproduction in your reply.  You give three processes that make such reproduction possible, but what exactly is the value of reproduction here?  What is being reproduced?  I am accustomed to questioning such reproduction, to seeing most of what is reproduced as problematic.  As a result, at this point I am beginning to feel like the economic and social arrangements of a capitalist system are taken for granted, and
 that the objective for devising such processes as you list has more to do with succeeding under the terms of such a system, accepting the discursive formations of "free enterprise."  We are a long way from any consideration about resistance, it seems.  When you mention the "selection for quality," I want to ask how is this different from determining what is profitable?  You know, rather than one person one vote, we have one dollar one vote.  I would say that the notion of "quality" gets introduced when hegemonic priorities try to naturalize their objectives.  Thus, as I understand you, quality is not supposed to be the product of a social process that has historical roots in various expressions of power.  Instead it is supposed to be an inherent characteristic of the content itself, as if it were born in the product and not a reified result of social desire, ideology, or economic inequality.  For me the very idea of quality is politically suspect.  This concern applies
 equally to the concept of "talent," which can often be measured in terms of profitability but is then mystified into some intrinsic criteria only true "experts" can pick up.  (In your reply you make reference to "anti-hijacking" processes and refine this as "procedures against private appropriation."  This sounds like a reference to issues surrounding intellectual property, to measures designed to prevent private interests from using public resources for private gain or from placing constraints on the capacity people have to access or use ideas that ought to be available to anyone.  But the language would also suit a CEO who is concerned about protecting company content from being "hijacked" by other private individuals, artists and such.  In the context of a discussion about such things as quality and talent, hijacking - so familiar from the language of terrorism - would seem to allude to fears held by the status quo.)

  Bernie