[iDC] The revolution is calling.

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Thu May 3 21:07:41 EDT 2007

Hello, there has been some talk on this list (and elsewhere) recently
about Mobile phones, I have  mentioned Telekommunisten and what we are
doing in brief, but as I have been swamped working on the new product,
Dialstation, my comments have been brief.

It has already been noted that the mobile phone is quickly becoming the
world's communication device.

  - Far more people in the world have access to a mobile phone then to
computers or even regular phones.

  - Telephone credits, calling cards, and vouchers have become a sort of
currency in remote places, being used as a payment currency in lieu of
cash, which is often hard to transmit where bank accounts and Internet
is scarce.

The Telekommunisten are a small Berlin-based worker-owned company
founded by two Canadians with a history of political activism. We have
developed a product that we think is consistent with our principals and
our understanding of the political situation we find ourselves in.

Why a calling product:

   - Communication is important for trans-local communities and the
growth of the informal economy. Two emerging trends we believe have the
potential to shift power away from transnational corporations and nation
states.

  - The historic unbundling of the international telephone system along
with it's convergence with IP networks allows new calling products to be
developed with highly skilled labour and relatively little capital.

Other criteria for Dialstation that make it suitable to the periphery:

  - Dialstation can be used with a normal telephone and requires no
special software, and perhaps no Internet access.

  - Money held in Dialstation accounts can be transfered between
accounts using the create voucher feature available to all users, this
opens up the possibility for Dialstation to be used where bank accounts
and credit cards are scarce to enable both market opportunities and gift
economies.

Next steps:

  - Test Dialstation under actual international usage and fine-tune
origination and termination issues. (and fix bugs of course)

  - Extend the voucher system to a full-blown mobile-enabled distributed
community currency system in partnership with the Ripplepay project.

  - Encourage and support entrepreneurship in making Dialstation
vouchers available where paypal and bank transfer are not used.

  - Promote usage of Dialstation generally.

If anybody has any questions, please contact us. And please try Dialstation.

Regards,
Dmytri Kleiner

Telekommunisten
c/o bootlab, Berlin