[iDC] Virtual Worlds, Education, & Labor

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:14:01 EST 2007

i'm wondering if anyone thinks that the body of research surrounding
mobility and tech in geography/tourism studies is of any relevance here?
it seems extremely significant to me, especially if we consider the
population/depopulation of software sites like SL to be a form of
mobility. There is a line of inquiry, for example, into the role of
travel-based websites in global tourism. See Jennie Germann Molz's
"Playing Online and Between the Lines: Round-the-World Websites as
Virtual Places to Play" in Tourism Mobilities (2004, Ed. Sheller/Urry)
Even Saskia Sassen's analysis of info tech actually centralizing and
condensing power in global cities rather than decentralizing and
distributing power seems relevant.
(see: "The New Centrality" 1997 and "The Topoi of E Space" 2001)
http://www.sarai.net/publications/readers/01-the-public-domain
i recently came across a paper by Stephen Graham called "Software-
Sorted Geographies" that analyzes the automation of ideology through
connections between software and regimes of spatial control (my
interpretation). it has some similarities with A. Galloway's critique
of protocols. anyway, i think it's worth a read, even if more
applicable to locative media.
http://eprints.dur.ac.uk/archive/00000057/
best,
ryan