[iDC] RE: here, hear _UpgradeSL node

Gere, Charlie c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 12:28:38 EST 2007

Tobias

Thanks for your thoughts and believe me I am the last person to condemn
masturbation, and therefore I take your point about denigrating
pornography etc... I fear my polemical zeal and weakness for a beguiling
metaphor overcame my capacity to present a fully reasoned argument. My
point was about the dangers of conflating two different things, the
experience of a virtual space such as SL on the one hand, and that of RL
communities on the other. It's not really a question of embodiment;
after all, as Benedict Anderson pointed out all those years ago, most of
our communities are imagined and don't involve experience of all the
other bodies of which they are comprised. But I do think it is a
question of what actual effects actions have in different realms, such
as SL and RL, and what kinds of responsibilities they bring with them.

I teach my Cultural Studies undergraduate students a couple of texts
that relate to these issues, 'The Cross-Dressing Psychiatrist' by
Allucquere Rosanne Stone and 'A Rape in Cyberspace' by Julian Dibble.
Though both predate SL by quite a few years, the questions they raise
remain pertinent, particularly the Dibble piece. My students and I have
long discussions about whether the virtual textual 'rape' enacted on an
avatar in LamdaMoo is in any sense equivalent to rape as the term is
used in the material world. (Interesting that, as Tobias may well point
out, that rape as an example confirms the 'complex relation all online
realms hold between sexuality, affect... and alterity'). My strong sense
is that there is pretty much no comparison and to conflate the two uses
of the term is dangerous and even offensive. As a thought experience,
imagine a rape victim's possible reaction to hearing someone describe
some experience in SL as 'rape'. By the same token this could be said of
many other terms used in both SL and RL, and of the experiences and
structures to which they refer. Again imagine the reaction of someone
who has been involved in attempting to build and sustain communities in,
for example, Iraq or Palestine, listening to someone describe the
problems of community building in SL. I think grasping and holding onto
this distinction is incredibly important.

Charlie

Charlie Gere
Reader in New Media Research
Director of Research
Institute for Cultural Research
Lancaster University Lancaster LA1 4YL UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1524 594446
E-mail: c.gere at lancaster.ac.uk
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fss/cultres/staff/gere.php